Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need language advice

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 peter690

peter690

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:02 PM

I'm looking to get pointed in the right direction, then from there I'll be doing a ton of learning and researching.

I'd like to make a website where people can submit their own stories for kids.  However, the unique thing I want to do is allow the reader to determine the names of the characters before reading the story.  So for example, I would submit a story about a knight, princess, and dragon.  Each person who accesses the story will be prompted for the names that they would like the main characters to be, and then the story will load with those names in it.

What language would be best for something like this?  I'm also hoping to make this user friendly for the submitters as well.

I'd also like a forum to be included.  Would it be possible to expand on something like PHPBB to do something like this?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:08 PM

This can easily be done with PHP. Most web hosting providers offer a LAMP (Linux Apache Mysql PHP) configuration right out of the box. PHP is also a fairly easy language to learn and can easily be used to do what you want it to do.

Sprinkle in some ajax (javascript) to make it a little more user friendly and your good to go.

#3 peter690

peter690
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:26 PM

Cool, I'll read up on LAMP and PHP more.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:48 PM

This is a terrific beginner book:

http://www.amazon.com/PHP-MySQL-Web-Development-5th/dp/0321833899/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1391122085&sr=1-4&keywords=php+mysql

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users