Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Disk Read Error Occurred

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Hikermann

Hikermann

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:39 PM

Accch!!

WIN XP Home Edition - put in a new 320GB hard drive a week or two ago; everything reloaded and worked fine.  Two days ago, while a DVD was loading, things went wacko ... and Windows would no longer completely load.

Tried Repair, but that was useless; reloaded XP a couple of times, but it wouldn't get past the "Press any key to boot from CD" stage; finally attempted to clean the disk and reload XP last night -- now the Disk Read Error message shows up.

Only have access to www via my MacBook, so downloaded DBAN Boot n Nuke, as well as UBCD528 to burn onto disks; couldn't figure out, though, why the download/burn files showed differently:  DBAN download = 15.5 MB but when dragged to burn the disk showed only 229 KB; UBCD download = 487 but when dragged to burn the disk showed only 98 KB.  Neither would boot the PC.

What th' ... ?

What's the solution for the Disk Read Error Occurred?
How do I clean the drive and start-a-new?

Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

Check your cables, pull them and re-seat.  I have messed up couple of times causing some hair pulling.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users