Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internal Hard Drive incorrect space detection?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 12padams

12padams

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

I bought a 3TB portable hard drive 6 months ago and since windows 7 refused to format it as anything more than 700 gig I used Ubuntu to format it in NTFS as 2.72 terabytes. Windows now said it had 2.72 terabytes of free space but then one day I passed around 1 Terabyte of storage while video editing and noticed my files on the drive were getting corrupt.

Researched online and found out that my bios needed an update to be able to detect drives over 2TB since the bios version was from 2010 (when the computer was bought. I did a scan disk within windows of the drive before flashing the bios and it said I had used 2.6 terabytes of the drive even though it was only storing 1tb. I'm guessing that was the cut off point and if you put more data on it than that it starts to overwrite previous data.

Yesterday I had the computer taken to dee why computer exchange for a service and for them to flash the bios with the 2013 bios update. The guy at the shop said I shouldn't need to reformat the drive or anything, it should automatically be detected. I took the computer home and checked the drive but it still said I only had 100 gig of space left out of 2.72 terabytes even though it only had a terabyte of data on it. I then did a scan disc overnight (took about 6 hours) and now its still the same story except apparently I only have 10 gig free after the Scan disk rather than 100 gig. 

Is this normal? Do I need to wipe this drive and reformat it? What's the best way to solve this problem and give me the full 2.72 terabytes of space without any automatically overwriting data issues?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:58 PM

Partition the drive as a GPT disk.

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/218619en

GUID Partition Tables (GPT) can define drives larger than 2.2TB. You can use GPT today on any Windows 7 and Vista system as a non-booting data drive. Windows can only boot a GPT partition on a new type of BIOS called UEFI.

You can convert a MBR disk to GPT using Partition Wizard but I would back up any data on the drive.

http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/convert-MBR-disk-to-GPT-disk.html

Or you can do it fresh with a GParted Live CD.

http://akabaila.pcug.org.au/gpt/gpt_gparted.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 January 2014 - 04:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users