Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What (if any) ways can the installation of your external hard drive fail?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bigbrown411

bigbrown411

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

I'm sure there are ways for the installation of a new external hard drive on your laptop/desktop to go wrong. Please don't name the obvious ways, like if the USB connection cable gets disconnected from either the laptop/desktop or the external hard drive. The reason why I'm asking this question is because I just recently bought a 1tb WD external hard drive. WD has a VERY good reputation, but I'm still worried that a possible program on my computer might screw up the installation. Is this a possibility for the installation to go wrong? Name as many ways for the installation of an external hard drive to go wrong please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

Unless there is a hardware flaw there really is no way for the installation to "go wrong" I mean yes you could possibly get the wrong driver but that is easily fixed by updating the driver, or manually downloading one.

All you need to do is treat the HDD as you would a flash drive, plus it in, let the computer do its thing (install drivers and read what the drive is) and there you go.

I have 4 external drives (i had 5 but the fifth died after 2 years, it was a hardware issue) 3 are WD and I have had no issues with any of them, just plug them in and go, on all computers I have connected them to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users