Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

brightness does not seem to respond on windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 needhelp*1

needhelp*1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:50 PM

no matter what I do I can't seem to get the brightness to respond.  Very difficult to see screen because of glare.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

Please provide more information: the model and make of the computer. Also was it running windows 8 and then updated to 8.1?

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 needhelp*1

needhelp*1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:44 PM

I have an Lenovo p400 laptop and also It had windows 8 but I did a windows 8.1 recently.

I have an Lenovo p400 laptop and I recently did an update to the 8.1

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:02 PM

How are you trying to change the brightness? I assume you are using a function key + F1-F12.

I am not certain what video chipset you have but this is the likely cause. In device manager (do a search for "device manager" and open it) click the small down arrow next to Display adapters. Report what you see there. There was only 1 updated driver on Lenovo's website:http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/downloads/detail.page?DocID=DS034266  (In the operating system field select 8.1) that is for an nvidia graphics card. If you have anything pertaining to nvidia in the display adapters list you can download and update that driver.

If you do not have anything related to nvidia but instead have intel, right click on the intel video text and click update driver software, windows may find the new driver automatically. If it does you will see it download and then install, the screen may flicker a time or 2. When it completes restart your computer and try the brightness keys again.

If when you click update driver software it reports your device is up to date, click ok and right click on it again, this time we will select uninstall, if it pops up a box asking you if you want to delete the driver DO NOT put a check in the box, we do not want to delete the driver, just click ok to continue. When it completes, restart the computer and it will re-install the driver. This has fixed quite a few issues on Lenovo computers I have that run windows 8 and were updated to 8.1...

Edited by zingo156, 30 January 2014 - 04:06 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users