Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Aspire computer wont boot up

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 stratguy13

stratguy13

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:50 AM

My son's laptop suddenly when booting up says it has a boot issue.When it tries to repair it goes to screen that says there is a boot issue.

He has Windows 7 and its about 3 years old.Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:37 PM

What is the EXACT message and at what point during the boot process do you see it?

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:10 PM

Hard drive is most likely failing.  Best thing if it is failing, is to replace the hard drive with a SSD.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:16 PM

Suggesting using an SSD is really not up to you, that's a user choice. And while it may indeed be the HD, I'd like to see the error message before recommending the OP replace it.

#5 stratguy13

stratguy13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:41 PM

it starts booting up then says windows failed to start a recent hardware or software change may be the cause..then it tries to repair and load files and it says it encountered a problemcommunicatig with a device connected to your computer

Then at the bottom it says Status:0xc00000e9

Info:An unexpected I/O error has occurred...

I called Acer and they said it was a boot problem not the hardware failing..they said they can fix it over the phone so it isn't the hard drive

Any ideas?

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:54 AM

1) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

2) Do you have any usb devices connected or a cd/dvd in the drive? If so, please disconnect all external devices and see what happens.

3) Do you have a Win 7 dvd?

#7 stratguy13

stratguy13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:01 AM

Allan I appreciate your feedback.There is no difference.My son shut it down at night and next morning it went right to this Windows recovery screen tried repairing it and the next screen was Windows boot manager with that message where it says

Info:An unexpected I/O error has occurred

No dvd is in the computer.and I don't have a windows 7 DVD,I got this on that Home shopping network like 3 and a half years ago

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:07 AM

Without a W7 dvd, you can reboot the system and as soon as the system starts begin tapping the F8 Function key continuously until it takes you to the advanced boot options screen. From there you would select "Repair Your Computer" and run the startup repair options to see if anything works.

You should also check with Acer to see if your system has a recovery partition. If it does, you can attempt to restore the system to "as shipped" state (all data will be lost).

#9 stratguy13

stratguy13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:15 AM

Allen I tried the epair option did not work..Also tried the Last known good configuration which didn't work...Also tried enable boot logging and that didn't wor....

There is an option for Directory services Restore Mode...What is that?

#10 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:16 AM

Suggesting using an SSD is really not up to you, that's a user choice. And while it may indeed be the HD, I'd like to see the error message before recommending the OP replace it.

SSD's are faster then a platter drive, and also do not get easily damaged, when the unit is dropped.

#11 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:18 AM

Without a W7 dvd, you can reboot the system and as soon as the system starts begin tapping the F8 Function key continuously until it takes you to the advanced boot options screen. From there you would select "Repair Your Computer" and run the startup repair options to see if anything works.

You should also check with Acer to see if your system has a recovery partition. If it does, you can attempt to restore the system to "as shipped" state (all data will be lost).

Allan I appreciate your feedback.There is no difference.My son shut it down at night and next morning it went right to this Windows recovery screen tried repairing it and the next screen was Windows boot manager with that message where it says

Info:An unexpected I/O error has occurred

No dvd is in the computer.and I don't have a windows 7 DVD,I got this on that Home shopping network like 3 and a half years ago

Download Who Crashed to find out what is exactly going on.  http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed  Also if you can boot up with a Linux Live CD, to run GSmart, to look at the S.M.A.R.T. info, do that, to see if the drive is toast.  When it boots, does it make a loud clicking noise, from the R/W head moving back and forth?

That error is related to the Bios not being able to communicate with your hard drive.  That means the drive is toast at this point.  Try to use the Linux Live-CD, to rescue as much documents, pictures, music, videos off of the drive, and then get a SSD to replace the drive, which is toast.

Crucial.com has a M500 240gb for $148.  Best option as I stated before, since his drive is not working.  Trying to keep it working, is risking further damage to the laptop, or data on it.  You are playing with a loaded gun at this point.

I have seen drives last 2 years in units.  I have seen them last 12 years.  I just did a laptop for a customer, that was having multiple issues.  When I pulled the hard drive, which had been in it for 12 years, when you tilted the drive unit back and forth, the R/W head was not even attached as it should have been inside.  Replaced it with a new drive, it works like a champ and no more errors or issues with the system crashing.

Your problem is one of the easiest ones to diagnose, since you were exact in what the issue was up front.

Edited by Greg62702, 31 January 2014 - 08:23 AM.

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:21 AM

SSD's are faster then a platter drive, and also do not get easily damaged, when the unit is dropped.

They are also not universally compatible and are prone to causing their own problems with many systems.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:39 PM

Can we focus...on the boot issue, please?  The merits/demerits of SSDs may be nice to debate in a hardware forum, but this topic isn't about such.

Louis

#14 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:19 PM

Can we focus...on the boot issue, please?  The merits/demerits of SSDs may be nice to debate in a hardware forum, but this topic isn't about such.

Louis

This is a hardware issue.  The OP needs to replace the drive, not be driven blindly over a cliff.

#15 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:36 PM

Louis

This is a hardware issue.  The OP needs to replace the drive, not be driven blindly over a cliff.

Before we talk about replacing the drive can we run some diagnostics on the Drive? Go to Seagate and Download the Seatools for Dos and create the CD. You could also use a DVD instead of a CD in most cases, and run the Short and Long tests. If any errors are reported please do not do the repair as that could lead to data loss. please report back if the drive passes or fails. Not to mention that a user may be trying to get a little more life out of the computer while they save up to replace it.

Thank You and Good Luck

Roger

Greg, Just suggesting replacing the drive with a SSD rather than a much less expensive as well as larger drive does not work for everybody. I have nothing against SSD drives, All the computers in the house use them as the boot drives. Ranging in size from 120Gb to 1Tb. Having said that they are not for everybody. Some People here are on a limited income, We try to suggest low cost or free solutions as a result.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 01 February 2014 - 01:39 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users