Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Asus Eee PC 1005HA boots XP only from Linux flash drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:29 AM

My son gve me a hosed Asus Eee PC 1005HA loaded with Windows XP. All it gets at powerup is a blinking cursor and no POST beeps. I thought maybe the HD was shot, so I downloaded a linux bootloader and installed it on an SD drive along with Linux Puppy operating system.

After fiddling with Linux, pressing ESC to select the flash drive(even after reassigning it as the #1 boot priority), I realized there was an advanced boot menu that included XP. Voila, XP booted and works great. For a couple of days, I updated Windows and AVG, MBAM, scanned and removed a trojan and tracking cookies. It works great, very stable and I'm enjoying using it. it has better WiFi capability than my phone.

However I still have to use ESC to communicate with the SD card and access the boot menu, and several button presses to select XP to boot. If I select Boot from HDD from that menu, it's back to the blinking cursor. Same if I power up and take no action. Same if I go back to BIOS and assign the HDD as  top boot priority.

Where can I start trying to get this back to automatically boot XP? Does it sound like the Boot sector is corrupt? Any way to fix that? I'm not sure if it's using FAT32 or NTFS. I'll see if I can figure that out before my next post.

Thanks,

Rusty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

Sounds to me as if the XP boot files are damaged...do you have the XP install disk?

Louis

#3 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:44 PM

Sounds to me as if the XP boot files are damaged...do you have the XP install disk?

Louis

I'm pretty sure I do have one, but the little netbook has no DVD drive. Can I just put the ISO on a flash drive, or do I have to mount it on my PC and copy the files that are in the ISO?

Thanks, Louis.

Rusty

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:51 PM

I can't answer that...I only have experience with systems having optical drives.

Louis

#5 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:20 PM

I fixed it. I found a neat little program that will repair the mbr without the XP DVD or the repair console. It's called Fixmbr.

http://www.ambience.sk/fdisk-master-boot-record-windows-linux-lilo-fixmbr.php

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:52 AM

:thumbup2: , happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users