Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU: sudden high usage

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Notgivingup

Notgivingup

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:55 AM

Having trouble with my PC: running very slow and hot!

Two days ago I received a BSOD message ("IRQL Not Less or Equal") and somehow got rid of it by trying different suggestions I found here on the internet (which one helped I do not know).

Unfortunately, following this incident (after BSOD issue is solved) my Sony Vaio is not the same. It became extremely slow (to a point that using it becomes nearly impossible) and running very hot. CPU spikes to 100 % nearly all the time, even with no programs running (when nothing runs svchost.exe is the one responsible for spikes). 

Steps I have already taken with no result:

- I use an antivirus programme and I ran an additional check up
- I ran msconfig and disabled all the unnecessary programs running at start ups
- I updated all my drivers
- I did a clean boot

No changes. Will be thankful for your suggestions!

Edited by hamluis, 30 January 2014 - 12:58 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:11 PM

It might be a good idea to boot to safe mode and see if you have that problem there, while your in safe mode run a full scan with Malwarebytes.

Safe mode how to: windows XP through 7: Power off the machine, after powering on tap F8 on your keyboard until the boot menu appears, use your arrow keys to select "safe mode with networking"

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Notgivingup

Notgivingup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:15 PM

It might be a good idea to boot to safe mode and see if you have that problem there, while your in safe mode run a full scan with Malwarebytes.

Safe mode how to: windows XP through 7: Power off the machine, after powering on tap F8 on your keyboard until the boot menu appears, use your arrow keys to select "safe mode with networking"

Thank you for your reply! I tested your suggestion and the problem is not there when I run my PC in safe mode. What does that mean? What is the next step from there. Huge thanks!

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:38 AM

If it seems ok in safe mode then it is likely a software issue. The process svchost.exe is responsible for many things in the OS, the next step would be to run a full Malwarebytes scan in safe mode, you can download that here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

Install Malwarebytes and run a "Full Scan" then let us know what it finds. If you have not already dusted out your computer this would be a good idea as well. Buy some canned air and blown through the intake and exhause (where the fan blows out air and pulls air in). A good working computer should be able to run at nearly 100% load without blue screening or overheating.

Edited by zingo156, 03 February 2014 - 09:39 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:51 AM

Let's look at some data before I move this to an O/S forum.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users