Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie Keeps Closing Down

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cbstiff

cbstiff

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 07:00 PM

Hi,
I am new to this forum and hope you can help me. Every time I click on a video in IE (6) it runs for a while and then comes up with the error of "Internet Net Explorer has encountered a problem and must close down"
I send the error report as requested, but nothing seems to work. It's amazing that the commercials all work, but once the video starts it pops up that message. Sometimes the video will continue playing anyway, but sometimes it just freezes up. :thumbsup:
Thanks for any help you can give.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:18 PM

Hi cbstiff, First welcome to BC.
There are quite a few things that that message means.
Was there a Details button with the message,if so, next time click it. The error message would give better details of what the message was pointing to and easier to solve.
In the mean time In iternet optionds clear cookies and temp files.
Run your AV and spyware scans as many times it's a malware issue.
Let us know.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 cbstiff

cbstiff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 03:41 AM

Thanks boopme. The error message said:
AppName: explore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180
ModName: ntdll.dll ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 0003426d.
I clear the cookies and temp files all the time. Have run AV (Panda) and spyware regularly (AdAware, Spysweeper and SpyBot) and nothing has showed up.
Thanx for any help you can give.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 10:43 AM

Could you verify that the error is in "explore.exe" and not in "iexplore.exe"? (you have the correct version for iexplore.exe - but there is no explore.exe on my system).

If this is the case there are 2 ways to try and fix this:
1) Run SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Run dialog. It may ask you to insert your installation CD. If so, visit Windows Update immediately afterwards.

2) Uninstall SP2 and then reinstall it - this will "repair" IE for you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 11:08 AM

There may be another way to fix this. Just go to the following site and download and get the file copied to where the file is supposed to be. Note this is a dll that is in use so you might not be able to delete it thru regular windows so try safe mode.

http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?ntdll

#6 cbstiff

cbstiff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 01:03 PM

Thanx Usamsa.
You're right, it is iexplore.exe. Sorry for the typo. I will try your suggestion and let you know if it works.
Thanks again for your time. I have some other problems also, but I'll solve this one first.
cbstiff

#7 cbstiff

cbstiff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 06:01 PM

Well, I tried to do what Usamsa said to do-but I couldn't. When I tried to
run sfc.exe/scannow it said it could not find the file. When I tried to uninstall Service Pack 2 it went through all the motions with the Windows XP pack 2 removal wizard and then said the system cannot find the file specified. I don't know what (or if) I am doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated. I don't know if this is part of the problem, but I also get a lot o runtime errors. Mainly for object expected, some syntax error and just yesterday, invalid argument. I am not a computer "wiz" so I don't go where I don't belong when it comes to fixing things! Any help would be appreciated.
cbstiff

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 07:01 PM

Just to check how you typed it, as with out the space it won't run

Click Start>Run> sfc /scannow (with the space between 'c ' & '/') It might ask for the Windows CD to upload the corrupted files
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 cbstiff

cbstiff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 11:05 PM

Boopme,
You were right, I forgot the space-actually, I didn't see it. Anyway, it came up on the screen so fast I could not see what it said-and then it was gone. I tried a video and it said I had to install Windows Media 10. I already had that on the computer, but I guess what you told me to do nixed it. Well, it took me two times, but I got it to load and the video so far is working. Thanx.
Since you figured that one out, do you have an idea why I am getting all the runtime errors? Now I get a runtime error when I first get on IE that says: Runetime error: Line 1 Error: Invalid argument. The other runtime errors are object expected and syntax error. Any ideas. I hate being uninformed about this stuff. I'm glad there is a place like this to get some info.Lord knows, the Microsoft site will drive you to drink-it reminds me of trying to get a straight answer out of a politican-just ain't going to happen!
cbstiff

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2006 - 08:52 AM

Sorry 'bout the "space" thingie! It's happened before and I should include a warning about it (and Thanks boopme!).

So, did SFC run correctly and finish? Did you visit Windows Update to ensure that all of your updated files were still updated?

The removal and reinstallation of SP2 is the fix for IE. If it doesn't work, then there's not many alternatives left.

First, just a shot in the dark, but try this free program: http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix

On the version that I'm using (0.54 beta) you have to click on the "More" button to get to the IE stuff.

First, click on "Fix IE". If that doesn't work, then click on all of the Registration entries and have it fix them.

If that doesn't work, then I'd have to suggest a repair install according to the directions here: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users