Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Autoruns IE file not found error

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 em_squared

em_squared

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:32 AM

I've looked around on this forum and a Google search, but can't find anything specific to my issue.

I've been noticing that my laptop has started taking longer and longer to boot up and become what I'd call "responsive" (Windows fully loaded, all start up programs up and running). So I installed Autoruns to look at all of the start up programs I've got going on.

One that I'm wondering about is Internet Explorer. From what I've read around the Internet, anything that comes up File Not Found should be left alone in the event that it's being used by something or could be being held in place in the future for something. But, I guess I'm curious as to why IE would show up as File Not Found and I'm wondering if that's slowing anything down because Windows is trying to find a core application like that and it's holding things up until it finds it or gives up. Please see the attached screen shot for reference. It also shows IE in two different locations in the registry and I wasn't sure if that's normal either.

Any help anyone can provide would be great.

Thanks

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

Well...let's begin at the beginning.

What tab are you looking at in Autoruns?

The startup items that you should be concerned with...are on the Logon tab...leave everything else alone, for your own good.

As for Internet Explorer...if it works properly, I'd leave it alone.  It's a basic part of Windows. 

Louis

#3 em_squared

em_squared
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:14 AM

This is on the Logon tab. And IE 11 is working properly from what I can tell (or at least as intended) so, I figured it was safe enough to ignore. Just thought it curious that it's with such a core application and in two places.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

Autoruns shows the currently configured auto-start applications as well as the full list of registry and file system locations available for auto-start configuration. Autostart locations displayed by Autoruns include Logon entries, Explorer add-ons, Internet Explorer add-ons and Browser Helper Objects (BHOs), Appinit DLLs, image hijacks, Boot Execute Images, Winlogon Notification DLLs, Scheduled Tasks, Windows Services and Winsock Layered Service Providers. Autoruns allows for managing (enable/disable) auto-start applications, viewing the Local System accounts profile, exporting logs and includes an option to Hide Microsoft and Windows Entries.

When you disable an entry with Autoruns, a subkey is created (AutorunsDisabled) and the disabled value is moved into that subkey. This way, you can reenable it later.

Unless Autoruns is launched elevated, it can only be used to change settings for the user that launched Autoruns (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ - C:\Users\username).

For startup items, in most cases "File not found" indicates orphan registry entries still present, but the executables are gone so you can safely delete them. That is not the case for "System 32 Drivers Not Found"...see FAQ: Common Autoruns Issues - #12 Autoruns: System 32 Drivers Not Found which provides information in regards to these "File not found" entries.

If you're going to keep Autoruns (which I recommend), be careful using it and be sure to read:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users