Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer restored with windows updater not working

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Redsmiler78

Redsmiler78

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:51 AM

I have an old compaq presario computer running on Windows XP home eddition x86? A while ago it wasn't booting up so I did a full system restore, meaning it reverted all the software back to it's original state in 2002. The only problem is that when I tried to update McAfee it required the latest Windows IE, which I couldn't do because my software was old.
I checked microsoft automatic updater and it was not working so when I went to the microsoft fix it they suggested I needed Microsoft .net 2.0 or a later version before I could download the fix. Unfortunately I couldn't download this as an error message popped up which made little sense.
I have uploaded miscrosoft security essentials (updated) from a stick and run a full scan and it has suggested there are no viruses.

I have attached the error log and the message boxes which came up. Please help as I want to get the computer up to date so that my kids can use it.
Many thanks.

Attached Files

Edited by Redsmiler78, 30 January 2014 - 05:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:32 AM

Have you tried some of the other sites that offer it, there are a bunch of offerings on Google.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Redsmiler78

Redsmiler78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:37 AM

I'll have a look now PHil, thanks but seems to be down to a software problem. I'll get back to you.

#4 Redsmiler78

Redsmiler78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:47 AM

Hi PHil,
I tired on Lenovo and it failed on assembly with the following error message in the attachment

Attached Files

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:56 AM

Take a look at this link/

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/e40d80ca-6fe7-403d-b576-d6d72ef5e349/error-0x80131107-trying-to-install-microsoft-net-framework-20-x86?forum=netfxbcl

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

Is SP3 installed?  If not, you can download it and install it manually from your desktop.

All critical updates after SP3?

Louis

#7 Redsmiler78

Redsmiler78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:40 PM

Hi Louis,

yes I do have SP3 for XP.

I'm not sure what you mean by critical updates?

Chris

#8 Redsmiler78

Redsmiler78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:42 PM

Phil,

that link has been very useful.

I have managed to download up to and inclusing microsoft .net 1.1 service pack 1 but I can't seem to find microsoft .net version 2.0 (x86) anywhere on the microsoft site.

I tried a different site and it just downloaded a load of stuff I didn't want, which took me 15 mins to remove.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:49 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=16614

For info on what critical updates, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Update .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users