Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need current Win 7 ISO download site

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:43 AM

I recently downloaded a Win 7 iso from a supposedly reputable site but I have my doubts whether it was because that same site , Digital River is giving me 404 error codes just two days after I downloaded it .

I am also getting many error codes trying to install it which has never happened before.  Does anyone have a current download site , I do have a legit key and this is a legit request.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:58 AM

Microsoft burned all the genuine Win7 ISO download links today... hence the 404 error (not found).

edit: here is where I used to get them http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

Edited by TsVk!, 30 January 2014 - 01:02 AM.

#3 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:11 AM

Thank you,  but what does that mean exactly ,   no longer available ?   As to your link , is that still good?

Thanks I appreciate your response

Edited by herbman, 30 January 2014 - 01:11 AM.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:17 AM

that link is fine... click on it and look.

no longer available means just that, sorry. you will have to find a copy from a friend or other means.

#5 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:23 AM

Oh this really sucks ,  I don't have that option to borrow, I am in a brand new location and I don't know anybody.   Microsoft needs to get these back asap . 

I have a dvd disc with the iso image but I don't know how to transfer it to a bootable usb stick.  My disk drive is out of order but I have another computer that works.

I also have images of my operating system on disk but don't know if I can transfer them.

Edited by herbman, 30 January 2014 - 01:30 AM.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:51 AM

if you have a working computer you can use this tool to make a bootable usb using your iso image and a usb stick... dead easy.

edit: use nero or something like it to rip the image from the install disk. there's a free program here if you don't have that software. Not flash,but does the job.

Edited by TsVk!, 30 January 2014 - 03:50 AM.

#7 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:04 AM

Thanks for the info, Kaspersky flagged the bottom link as malicious , not at first though because the application advisor said it's safe but when I clicked on it all types of Kaspersky warnings popped up saying blocked malicious etc...

Thanks for the help though

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:21 AM

here's a less spammy application...  not as easy to use though.

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

edit: I just double checked that first link I gave you, even kaspersky came up clean... results here

edit edit: doublechecked the install file... was clean 2 days ago, has a PUP today. Not necessarily harmful, a pay per install logger. Wary still.

Edited by TsVk!, 30 January 2014 - 04:41 AM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:33 PM

I think you said the iso file was on the DVD. I would copy the iso from the DVD to the desktop of the other computer and then use Rufus to create a bootable DVD.USB

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 January 2014 - 05:35 PM.

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:45 PM

they did it to xp some time ago as well... they are not coming back I bet.

it's to curb the trend on people using activators to avoid coughing up for a new OS, I reckon. 

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:03 PM

it's to curb the trend on people using activators to avoid coughing up for a new OS, I reckon. 

Maybe this will ironically increase Linux's share on old computers. :)

#12 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:22 PM

I think you said the iso file was on the DVD. I would copy the iso from the DVD to the desktop of the other computer and then use Rufus to create a bootable DVD.

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

How do you copy the ISO onto another computer,  my computer that needs the ISO doesn't have a working disk drive .  

#13 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

Maybe this will ironically increase Linux's share on old computers. :)

So your saying Linux is an alternative that's worth downloading , I have no experience with it but if it's not hard and it's workable and secure I don't care , i'll use it.   How would I get it onto a laptop that has no disk drive ?

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:28 PM

"My disk drive is out of order but I have another computer that works." I thought your other computer had a DVD drive.

Edit: Sorry: in my post #9, I said bootable DVD. I meant use Rufus to create a bootable USB.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 January 2014 - 05:36 PM.

#15 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:42 PM

Try Mint if you like....

http://www.linuxmint.com/

Very user friendly, won't need any drivers, everything just works...unless you are running wireless or pcie graphics cards, then a driver or two required. My Mrs and kids love it.

I prefer Debian, which is more of a learning curve for a Windows user, but much more powerful.

http://www.debian.org/distrib/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users