Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

rootkit infected first laptop, I want to know check other computers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hongtr13

hongtr13

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:32 PM

Hi everyone, I need help because my laptop was infected with a rootkit and I had to factory reset it but I know that the virus is still there, I took it to best buy for them to check on it, however, what I learned from my friend is that rootkit can move through my wifi network and I was sent an email from AT&T about a zombie computer. 

Right now I want to check on my sisters computers if they are also infected. One of my sister's laptop is not connecting to the wifi, while the one I am using is so I just want to know a way to check through them all. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hongtr13

hongtr13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:42 PM

Hi everyone, I need help because my laptop was infected with a rootkit and I had to factory reset it but I know that the virus is still there, I took it to best buy for them to check on it, however, what I learned from my friend is that rootkit can move through my wifi network and I was sent an email from AT&T about a zombie computer. 

Right now I want to check on my sisters computers if they are also infected. One of my sister's laptop is not connecting to the wifi, while the one I am using is so I just want to know a way to check through them all. 

Important computer safety notice from AT&T Internet Services Security Center - Bot Traffic Detected AT&T Uverse Site ID: 072483328
Hong Tran
Billing Acct Ending: 2369 Dear Hong Tran,

AT&T has received information indicating that one or more devices using your Internet connection may be part of a zombie computer network (“botnet”). Internet traffic consistent with a bot infection was observed on Jan 28, 2014 at 2:02 AM EST from the IP address 108.95.78.46. Our records indicate that this IP address was assigned to you at this time. Infection details: 

Type: ZeroAccess
Source port: 53786
Destination IP: 24.xx.xx.3
Destination port: 16465
For security reasons, the destination IP is partially obscured.

Botnets are networks of computers which have been infected with malicious software and placed under the control of a hacker or group of hackers. They are often used for attacks on websites, spamming, fraud, and distribution of malicious software. Because bots are designed to run in secret, an infected computer may display no obvious symptoms. 

To address this problem we ask that you take the following actions. If your computer(s) are managed by an Information Technology (IT) group at your place of work, please pass this information on to them.
  1. If you use a wireless network, an infected computer may be using your Internet connection without your knowledge. Ensure that your wireless router is password-protected and using WPA or WPA2 encryption (use WEP only if WPA is not available). Check the connections to the router and ensure that you recognize all connected devices.
  2. Update the security software on your system and install any necessary service packs or patches.
  3. When you have taken action, please respond by forwarding this email to abuse@att.net with an acknowledgement of: “I am taking steps to address this infection.” When we receive such an acknowledgment, we can maintain the high quality of service you expect from us. We welcome feedback on what removal tools or methods were used.

Regards,

AT&T Internet Services Security Center

DISCLAIMER: The information above contains links to software by third-party vendors (hereafter, “the Software”). AT&T is not responsible for support or assistance for any of the Software. If you need support or assistance with any of the Software, please contact the Software's vendor directly. AT&T is unable to provide a warranty or guarantee, either expressed or implied, for any of the Software. You will be responsible for your own system software and system security and not hold AT&T, its partners, agents or affiliates liable for any costs or damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages to access system, hardware and/or software) to your computer as a result of installing or using any of the Software. You also understand that use of all hardware and/or software must comply with the AT&T Acceptable Use Policy. Important Note: This email contains links to various websites. You may copy and paste the URL(s) into your browser rather than clicking directly on the link.

©2005 - 2014 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. AT&T, the AT&T logo and all other AT&T marks contained herein are trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies. All other marks contained herein are the property of their respective owners. 
Privacy Policy (Updated September 16, 2013)

this is my email from AT&T

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,467 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:44 PM

Welcome aboard p22002758.gif

ZeroAccess rootkit requires elevated help.

Please follow the instructions in THIS GUIDE starting at Step 6. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it HERE. Please include a description of your computer issues, what you have done to resolve them, and a link to this topic.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

It would be helpful if you post a note here once you have completed the steps in the guide and have started your topic in malware removal. Good luck and be patient.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users