Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Request For UEFI Setup Help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:17 PM

See Thread "UEFI BIOS Problem", below, for particulars on the (main) system.

I need instruction on how to set up the BIOS properly. The manual is about useless, I'm having USB problems on this board, seemingly no matter how I set it up. The board is a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H - Rev 1.1 with an Intel i7-3770 (not -K) CPU, and with everything running stock. "Optimized Defaults" is the starting point.

I'm trying to keep the system in "Legacy" - nonUEFI mode so I can boot into Linux occasionally. I think the problem is in how the xHCI and EHCI settings are configured, along with some other, unknown, factor, and I'm going more nuts. Safe Boot is disabled, also. I do have some USB3 peripherals, so I don't want to simply disable USB3 entirely.

The problem is that some of the USB2 ports and some of the USB3 ports are active during POST and Setup, but not all, and not always the same ones. ALL ports are up and active once the OS (Win 7 -64) gets loaded and running. The available ports depend on the state of the machine. During POST, when I want to get into setup, certain ports are available. If I boot to a USB stick (assuming I can find a port to do so with, and that allows me to enter the boot selection screen - not always a guarantee), or a DVDROM (different ports here too!), everything changes.

Could this possibly be related to the note I saw somewhere that suggested having several USB2 devices plugged in before installing Intel USB3 drivers? Maybe I got that wrong. I don't recall seeing WHICH ports needed to be occupied, just that some did.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:51 AM

I don't have that board, but the website suggests that some of the USB ports/headers use a VIA chipset (so a secondary controller as some of them are provided by the Intel Z77 chipset).  Could it perhaps be the VIA ports that are causing issues at boot time??

Chipset:

1. Up to 2 USB 3.0/2.0 ports (available through the internal USB headers)
  2. Up to 6 USB 2.0/1.1 ports (2 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB headers)

Chipset + 2 VIA USB Hubs:

1. Up to 8 USB 3.0/2.0 ports (4 ports on the back panel, 4 ports available through the internal USB headers)
    * In Windows XP, the Intel USB 3.0 ports and VIA USB HUB can support up to USB 2.0 transfer speed.
    * Due to a Windows 7 limitation, please connect your USB device(s) to the USB 2.0/1.1 port(s) before the Intel USB 3.0 controller driver is installed.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users