Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a way to get thumb drive to boot from bios

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:59 PM

Does anybody know how, i have an ISO file from a dvd that i copied to a thumb drive but i can't get it to boot first .  My disk drive is out of order

My bios shows an option to add a new entry to boot but i'm not sure how to do it, it asks for a specific path and wants a name.

Edited by herbman, 29 January 2014 - 08:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

Have you made the flashdrive bootable? Simply having the image in there won't cut it. Also was the original DVD from wich you created the iso file bootable as well?

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:17 PM

Yes copying an ISO file to a flash drive won't make it bootable.  What is in the ISO file?  YUMI can create bootable USB sticks containing the Windows installer, or various utilities (and Linux distributions).  It will have a go at unsupported ISO files as well although there's no guarantee they'll work.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:57 PM

I looked over that Yumi link and it's too confusing for me ,  I have a dvd of a Digital river ISO that I want to copy to a thumb drive since my disk drive is out of order , I need to make the thumb drive bootable.  As of right now it's not bootable

The disk ISO is bootable but my dvd drive doesn't work,  hoping to make the thumb drive bootable  , I am using a friends computer to try and transfer the ISO on dvd to a bootable thumb drive

It's a win 7 sp1 home premium 64 bit edition ISO

Edited by herbman, 29 January 2014 - 10:58 PM.

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:20 PM

Well don't worry it's quite simple to use.  Just download it and run it.  Choose the drive letter of your USB stick.  Choose Windows Vista/7/8 Installer.  Browse to where your ISO is and click Create.

9BGbSQV.png

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:13 AM

Well I tried it and got error messages

One says( sources\ install wim ) and the other says (cyclic redundancy check)  thanks for the help anyway , appreciate it.

#7 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:56 AM

Don't give up already, i ensure you other forum members will be able to help you do it. 

In the meantime would you do us the favor to retry and then take a screenshot of the error you have been getting? It might help our fellow forum members understand the issue you are having with YUMI.

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:38 AM

The Windows 7 download can also create a bootable Windows 7 USB drive.  http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool#usage

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users