Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where o where art thou

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 HalfBreed

HalfBreed

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

Had to get a new DT. picekd up Lenovo H series with Windows 8. Yes I.m not to smart and 8 has me scratching my head. Here.s the thing, with other windows I can ust the start button @ bottom left corner to navigate around some like find where  my documents are, While loading files from WD Hardware  the  computer tells me that my files  have been downloaded  but I cannot find where the hell they been downloaded to. Which makes me        feel pretty stupid. Now for the second problem , the MB crased in old computer. would like to retreive info from that HD and wondered if  it could be  slaved to the drive in another computer so I can  retreive.  Any help offered  would  be  more than greatly appreciated.

HalfBreed                                                 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,537 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

Hello, yes dumping the Start button for the Charm bites.
If you drag your mouse pointer to the bottom right corner. Past the Clock and Date,,, The charm will slide out from the right.
Slide up to the Search (Magnifying Glass) icon and click it.

This brings up a Large screen (APPS)
Scroll all the way right using the bar at the bottom.
The last column is the Windows System
There you can click File Explorer and in the left pane under Favorites is Downloads.
That was easier Right?? :crazy:

There is a Win8 Tutorial HERE that is handy.
You can learn how to make your commonly used apps /folders easier to access.

The slaving will work.

Edited by boopme, 29 January 2014 - 07:42 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 HalfBreed

HalfBreed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

Thanks so much for the info  and the quick response. Have a  great evening , Once aagain thanks for the hel p. Sorrykeyboard this laptop keys sticking.     

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,537 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:33 PM

You're most welcome from the Board!!
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 HalfBreed

HalfBreed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:34 PM

I checked out the Windows 8 tutorial and it is good, it just doeasn't help with the external HD problem I'm having. I think I'll go over to the forum dealing with EX. HD's and see if there is any help there.thanks once again for the Tutorial link I'm going to print it out to have handy for a while.

HalfBreed

#6 EwenB

EwenB

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:33 PM

You can upgrade to 8.1 for free... checkout "Windows Store".  W8.1 also has a "Start" button and a number of other improvements.

#7 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

And don't forget the free Classic Shell download...can make your life much easier.

http://www.classicshell.net/

#8 HalfBreed

HalfBreed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:02 PM

People like U are the reason I am  so grateful for the forums. Great info and very helpful for us less intelligent folks,.I looked at the shell software, i beleive i will give it a try. one last thing still having a prob. with . The external WD I had plugged in  I still  can't the files off of it. As for the HD on my  old HP I don.t beleive it's  corrupted, the MB was bad , is it hard to slave it to another computercand DL everything on it to another storage  like a USB drive  or anything like that so I can reteive the files? Once again  thanks for all of your help.

HalfBreed

Edited by HalfBreed, 30 January 2014 - 08:04 PM.

#9 HalfBreed

HalfBreed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:45 AM

Well, it's offical I absolutly hate Windows 8. I'm signed in as the administrator but every time I try to DL a disk on to my comp. it states that ui do donot have permission and must rum from the administrator posiotion. can anyone help with this problem. Damn, probably going to have to buy Windows 7 and ditch 8, another 130 into a brand new computer.

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,537 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:34 AM

You may need to take ownership of a folder or files to do what you want.
See.. Take Ownership Of Files And Folders In Windows 8

#11 EwenB

EwenB

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

... or right click and "Run as Administrator"

#12 HalfBreed

HalfBreed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

Thanks for everyones help, I still hate W8 and have just read where it's da--    impossible to change back to W7. So far the best abd simplest way to revert back to  W7  is buy new hard drives and start from  scratch.  Up to  par for microsoft . Once again thanks for the info and help  with my questions.

HalfBreed                              

#13 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:42 AM

With a little patience anything can be learned.

I've been using win8 for about four months now and as a user it's pretty basic to use. I created shortcuts to essential apps on my desktop. I removed all the tiles I didn't need and what's left is generally run from the desktop anyway. The Metro apps (News, Calendar, Weather) are simply not worth my time, not to mention they seem to consume a lot more system resources than their alternatives (Firefox?).

As a tech, however- Win8 stinks. Very very difficult to troubleshoot, as Microsoft has moved or dropped the apps necessary (msconfig? Safe Mode?) to allow you to fix software and virus issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users