Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connected to Internet but No Access

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 stealthassassin95

stealthassassin95

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:15 PM

Hi There;

Reecently I have been having a few problems getting access to the Internet. Windows says that the PC is connected to the Internet, however when I open the web browser it endlessly loads and does not display any web pages or download information (like updates or Bing picture of the day).

I uninstalled KB2682330 as this was causing some problems for other Win 7 users and it seemed to help. However, if i lose internet access it can only be fixed by system restore. The restore points that work are ones that undo previous Windows Module Updates and previous Windows Updates. This makes it even more puzzling as I have lost the Internet 3 times since 20th Jan and all updates are set to manual- I will have access then it suddenly stops. McAfee is not flagging anything and there are no issues with the network.

Also: I dont know whether its related but My Computer says I have Service Pack 1 but this doesn't show up in Installed Updates.

Any help will be greatly appreciated and thank you very much in advance.

stealthassassin95

System Spec:

Acer Aspire X1301

AMD Athlon II x4

4GB RAM

Win 7 Pro IE9

650 GB HDD  

Edited by stealthassassin95, 29 January 2014 - 06:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:43 PM

How are you connecting to the Internet?  What is the manufacturer & model# of the router you are using?  Any errors showing up in Events under Administrative tools, in the Windows > System log?

#3 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:19 AM

Also you should try to use the ping command when the internet doesn't work for you to make sure it isn't just a browser issue or misconfiguration.

To use the ping command(i'll asume you are using win7):

1. Opening the windows console.

- Simply open the start menu by clicking on the start button on the lower left of the computer.

- Now write cmd in the searchbox and press enter

- The console should open almost inmediately

2. Using the ping command.

-Now, write ping google.com on the console, this will ping your closest google server, by default it will ping about 6 times and then it'll stop and give you the results.

Note: if you write ping google.com -t instead of ping google.com it will keep pinging until you press Ctrl and C together.

The ping is measured in ms (miliseconds)

Note that 1 second = 1000 miliseconds.

This isn't anything major or really usefull, but i usually use it to help when troubleshooting connection issues.

Next time your internet goes out try using this command to make sure it's your internet, the console will actually write out the error with every individual ping wich might actually help you troubleshoot the issue.

Disclaimer: There's no risk in doing this, but i'm no professional so this might just be a waste of time, i'll let our fellow forum members guide you in the right direction.

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:33 AM

1. Click the start button and navigate to the command prompt (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt)
  2. Make sure that you right click on the command prompt application and choose "Run as Administrator"
  3. Type in the command ipconfig /flushdns

Could be as simple as this, I just went through it with my new router.

Edited by OldPhil, 30 January 2014 - 11:35 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 stealthassassin95

stealthassassin95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:15 PM

Thank you for the responses.

@DatCoolGuy: I tried pining, the PC connects to networked computers and printers on a network but endlessly loads web pages on the internet.

@Greg62702: the PC is connected via ethernet. However the internet workes after performing a system restore which uninstalls anything from windows modules installer, java and rapport. I found out that java updates have not been disbaled so will see if uninstalling java and rapport makes any difference (but I have had version 45 for some time). This leads be to believe the issue is software related. I have tried sfc/scannow.

@OldPhil: will try the flush dns. When I first had the problem, running "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" in cmd worked but not anymore- system restore is the only option.

Longer term, a repair install of windows seems a likely option but ideally I dont want to have to do that.

#6 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:59 AM

Thank you for the responses.

@DatCoolGuy: I tried pining, the PC connects to networked computers and printers on a network but endlessly loads web pages on the internet.

@Greg62702: the PC is connected via ethernet. However the internet workes after performing a system restore which uninstalls anything from windows modules installer, java and rapport. I found out that java updates have not been disbaled so will see if uninstalling java and rapport makes any difference (but I have had version 45 for some time). This leads be to believe the issue is software related. I have tried sfc/scannow.

@OldPhil: will try the flush dns. When I first had the problem, running "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" in cmd worked but not anymore- system restore is the only option.

Longer term, a repair install of windows seems a likely option but ideally I dont want to have to do that.

Wich results did you get from pinging google.com from the command prompt?

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#7 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 13 February 2014 - 08:29 AM

Try the Farbar Service Scanner and see if it fixes the problem.  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-service-scanner/  If that does not work, try MiniToolbox.  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/  If it does not work, post the log from minitoolbox & service Scanner.

Edited by Greg62702, 13 February 2014 - 08:30 AM.

#8 stealthassassin95

stealthassassin95
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:14 AM

apologies for the delayed response, i have managed to get connected to the internet using "netsh int ip reset resetlogs.txt" and "ipconfig /flushdns" and Farbar didnt detect any issues. however i randomly lose internet connectivity after a couple of boots. it seems to be worse after chkdsk has run. i dont know what is causing this. there are 4 beeps that happen randomly but this is not a beep code for the PC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users