Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Hard Drive Failure Symptoms

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 labornvain

labornvain

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:41 PM

Hay guys. First post here. I hope I don't screw it up. I'm trying to diagnose what is probably drive failure. But some of the symptoms give me a tiny, micro-degree of hope that this may be something else.

I did something incredibly stupid. I just upgraded the CPU from an i3 2100 to and i7 3770. I have an Intel DH67CL mobo and four SATA drives. I had a most unfortunate mishap during this process. I had unplugged the 2x2 12v core power connector from the mobo during install. When I plugged it back in, like a complete idiot, I plugged it back in 45 degrees rotated. This, of course, prevented the unit from posting. In my defense, I'm almost blind, and I thought that the shape of the connector sleeves would have prevented plugging it in wrong. Bad mistake.

Fortunately, after pulling my hair out for a while, I discovered my error, corrected it, and everything seemed OK.

The next day, I was working on an audio project that streams audio samples from the drive in question, my "Sample" drive, and the sample player (Kontakt) started choking. I ran some tests on the drive and the tests couldn't even complete.

What's weird, and I've had plenty of drive failures over the years, is this one still works. Just incredibly slowly. I can navigate the drive and its gazillion directories, albeit incredibly slowly. I can copy files from it, if their really small (like txt files).

It just seems to be going really slowly. I need to figure out if this could be a mobo issue? Or a driver issue? Or, most likely, some kind of disk malfunction.

Here's what I've already tried to diagnose the problem:

I tried multiple SATA cables. This had no effect, and those same cables all work fine with the other drives.

I tried multiple SATA ports. No effect there either.

I heard that uninstalling the SATA controller drivers might work. But I'm not sure which ones to uninstall from Device Manager.

Sorry this is so long.  Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:02 PM

I had unplugged the 2x2 12v core power connector from the mobo during install. When I plugged it back in, like a complete idiot, I plugged it back in 45 degrees rotated.

I don't see how that's possible...the ends of the connectors are shaped in such a way that only one way works...unless you forced it in, tearing up the shaped connectors.

Your issue seems vague...if you suspect hard drive failure you could run chkdsk to see if any errors are detected. Is this the 'test' you were referring to? Where exactly did the test hang up?

It sounds to me that you may have a CPU/Motherboard issue than a hard drive. When you upgraded, did you check if your motherboard supports i7? EDIT: Nevermind, I see that it is compatible.

Edited by Netghost56, 29 January 2014 - 05:04 PM.

#3 labornvain

labornvain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:18 PM

I didn't think it was possible either, which is why I didn't pay more attention. But no, I don't have to force it. It just slides right in.

As for the issues, it won't even complete Chkdsk. It just sits there/hangs whatever. I also tried some other apps (Crystaldisk etc, HD Tune, Passmark and a couple others).

Something I forgot to mention, when I have tried the tests, it sometimes makes the drive disappear. I have to reboot to see it again under My Computer.

As my hope dies, it seems impossible now for it to be mobo, since it's only this disk no matter what port I plug it in to.

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:28 PM

Where does it hang when running chkdsk? This could be very telling.

#5 labornvain

labornvain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:48 PM

Hey Netghost56. Thanks for the response.

It hangs immediately, as far as I can tell. Like when trying to open or copy a file, it freezes/hangs/fails immediately. Unless the file is tiny.

Edited by labornvain, 29 January 2014 - 05:49 PM.

#6 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:03 PM

What's the make and model of the hard drive? Size? How much space used? Free?

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:25 PM

Just a quick question as this could be a BIOS issue.

After upgrading the CPU did you at any point enter the system BIOS setup utility and try choosing system defaults?

This option is often labeled with various different wording, but it is often a simple F Key option such as F9.

Try entering the BIOS setup utility and choosing that option, then save upon exit.

Let me know if this speed things up a bit.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#8 labornvain

labornvain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:42 PM

Just a quick question as this could be a BIOS issue.

After upgrading the CPU did you at any point enter the system BIOS setup utility and try choosing system defaults?

Bruce.

Thanks Bruce. Actually, for completely unrelated reasons, I did revert to default settings right after installing the new CPU. At least I attmpted to. Being the bios, it gave me no confirmation. But I assumed it worked.

I'm wondering now if anyone knows a good place to get this drive fixed, if that is the problem. Western Digital [Edit: Seagate] says they won't repair it. If the data is in fact, intact, then it seems like an easy fix just to remove the disc and put it in a new drive.

Edited by labornvain, 29 January 2014 - 09:52 PM.

#9 labornvain

labornvain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

What's the make and model of the hard drive? Size? How much space used? Free?

Sorry Netghost56, I missed your comment. It is a Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:19 PM

The only test you can take at this point for a possible motherboard and drive issue IMO, is use a different (even lower capacity available hard drive) to clean install your operating system or run the Seagate's bootable CD image and run the long test to correct possible unstable sectors. Just to be clear though, is the slow performance on copying files by external or just navigating thru directories?

Edited by jhayz, 29 January 2014 - 07:20 PM.

Tekken

#11 labornvain

labornvain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:58 PM

...is the slow performance on copying files by external or just navigating thru directories?

Thank you jhayz,

I don't think I understand your question, but here goes. It's slow navigating and copying files. When I say slow though, I think that's an understatement. It hangs if I try to access any file smaller than 100kb. As for "external", I don't know what you mean. This is an internal drive, but it's not the system drive .

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:11 AM

. I ran some tests on the drive and the tests couldn't even complete.

What's weird, and I've had plenty of drive failures over the years, is this one still works. Just incredibly slowly. I can navigate the drive and its gazillion directories, albeit incredibly slowly. I can copy files from it, if their really small (like txt files).

It seems that there is an issue with the particular hard drive. What specific test that could not complete? As I understand you have 4 hard drives and one of the slave drive is faulty on certain input/output operation. You can try using GSmart to check for certain attributes so we could diagnose if the seagate drive contains bad sectors. Just highlight the slave drive when Gsmart is already running then right-click Perform Test... for a complete instruction, see below.

How to obtain hard drive S.M.A.R.T data on a Windows system and then paste the report into a forum post

• Download the GSmartControl installer application:
    • Go to the GSmartControl - Downloads page.
    • Scroll part way down the page to where the current version available for download will be displayed.
      gsmartcontrolwindowsdownload.jpeg

• Double-click the downloaded application to run it and install GSmartControl on the computer.
    Note: Vista/Win7 users, right-click > Run as Administrator
  • When installation is complete, run GSmartControl:
    • Start GSmartControl from the Start > Programs menu.

• When the interface has loaded and scanning for hard drives is complete, click on the hard drive icon to select the device.
  • Go to Device on the top menu > View Details, and a new Device Information window will open.
  • Click on the Attributes tab to display the S.M.A.R.T data values.
  • Near the bottom of the window, click on View Output and a new Smartctl Output window will open.
  • Right-click anywhere inside that window > Select All.
  • Again right-click in that selected area > Copy.
  • Now paste that in a reply to your topic.
    Note: Please enclose the pasted report in CODE tags so that the spacing/formatting is preserved (to make it easier for all to read).
    • Firstly, click on the "Insert code snippet" button insertcodesnippetdetail2.jpeg
    • You will then see the "start" and "end" code tags (highlighted in dark blue/selected in the image) in the text box.
    • Click between the two tags to insert the cursor between the tags and then press <Ctrl+V> to paste the report there.

Tekken

#13 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:33 AM

Do you know if you have search indexing functioning on your system? Have you tried running Search on your drive?

I'm wondering if perhaps you may have a bad controller board. It's dicey, but in some cases a controller replacement will fix it.

#14 labornvain

labornvain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:42 PM

Do you know if you have search indexing functioning on your system? Have you tried running Search on your drive?

I'm wondering if perhaps you may have a bad controller board. It's dicey, but in some cases a controller replacement will fix it.

Hey Netghost56,

I appreciate your help. Yes, based on the evidence, I'm hopeful replacing the PCB will work. I've been taking a crash course on HD repair. I had no idea how possible it is that failed drives just need board replacement. I'm in the wrong business.

cheers

#15 labornvain

labornvain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

It seems that there is an issue with the particular hard drive. What specific test that could not complete? As I understand you have 4 hard drives and one of the slave drive is faulty on certain input/output operation. You can try using GSmart to check for certain attributes so we could diagnose if the seagate drive contains bad sectors. Just highlight the slave drive when Gsmart is already running then right-click Perform Test... for a complete instruction, see below.

Thanks jhayz for trying to help. I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner, I have since unhooked that unit so as to not risk damaging it further. I've decided to replace the PCB and hope for the best.

I appreciate the info though and I really appreciate everyone's support here. This is a great site.

cheers

Edited by labornvain, 31 January 2014 - 07:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users