Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Not Boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 phil7

phil7

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 10 May 2006 - 05:40 PM

Hello once again,

I have a laptop running Win XP Home SP1 with the SP2 downloade and installed.
I have a Pentium 4 Processor with 512 Meg Ram.
A 40 Gig hardrive.
I am running AVG as my A.V. and Kerio as my firewall.
I also use AdAware and Spybot along with Spyblaster.
All my updates as far as I know are dfownloaded and installed.

My daughter got onto some sites for lyrics of songs. Everything was running fine. I shut down the laptop for the night. When I booted up this morning i got thid message -

Load Error! Hit any key to reboot.

I hit any key and kept getting this same message.
I tried using the System Recovery CD that came with the Laptop. It got to an install but it said that it would format the hard drive.
I then tried a Symantec Norton System Works 2003 CD I had and tried to boot from that. Evidently it tried to load Windows ME.
Then I tried to boot from a Floppy with XPBoot on it and that said it was an invalid system. I fear that it now looks for Windows ME and does not recognize Windows XP. It still reads from my CD Drive so how can I create a bootable CD to at least get me into XP to do a Restore?
It now won't Start my System Recovery CD.

HELP :thumbsup:
Iíve learned two things in life: One, there is a God; Two, Iím not Him!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2006 - 07:04 PM

From what you wrote I think something happened to your system tracks for Windows XP. If you did not have Service Pack 2 installed you could do a repair of the Windows XP OS. All you will get when you try to do a repair is - You are running a newer operating system than is on the cd. (Not exactly the words but close enough)

There might be a way you can do this but it would have to be done with help from tech support from the manufacturer. The recovery disk might have the capabilities to do this but I suggest talking to the manufacturer tech support maybe thru email which is usually free and they will give you an answer Yes or No.

If you can not access the hard drive now to do a backup of your data you might want to try thru safe mode but none of your ports will work very well, no drivers installed but if you have a floppy drive A: you will be able to back up to the floppies.

#3 phil7

phil7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2006 - 09:02 PM

Unfortunately I forgot to say that I can't even boot in Safe Mode.
I was finally able to do a Quick Recovery and afterward I still got the same message.
I made need a new HD. Is it worth it, or should I buy a new laptop?

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2006 - 09:18 PM

On buying a new laptop and that I really can not make a decision like that for you basically because the equipment is not mine. This is something for you to make a decision on. Also this is a type of problem that you may want to have a tech look at the computer because there might bew something that can be done, laptops are their own special things and sometimes have very unique fixes. I would suggest to look for a computer user group that might be of some service and they are usually really cheap or free. You can find a list of user groups around the country at http://www.apcug.net/ just click on User Groups at the top drop down and have a good look.

#5 phil7

phil7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2006 - 06:04 PM

Thanx!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users