Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Build, Power Problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Alien51

Alien51

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:42 PM

I recently built my first computer. Everything is put together but the computer keeps 'powering off'.

There is no BSOD, no logs, the entire computer turns off. Futhermore it can not be turned back on unless I flip the switch on the PSU, wait a few seconds, and flip it on again. After which the regular power button will get the computer running.

This has never happened while in BIOS or during boot. It only happens when in Windows. The system seems stable at rest, meaning if I don't do anything on the computer, but just let it run, it doesn't power off. It will only power off if say I start up Chrome and start surfing the internet. Or run multiple programs. I've been able to do WindowsUpdate and various driver installs successfully.

I performed the 'Paper Clip' test on the PSU and it worked. I've reinstalled the OS, although this seems to be hardware related.

Quick searches on the internet seem to point towards either the Motherboard or the PSU. But I'd like to try and know for sure before I RMA something.

Below are the parts in the build. Running Windows7Ultimate.

MotherBoard

CPU

GPU

Power

RAM

Fan

HDD

Monitor

I also have a DVD drive, usb mouse, usb keyboard, and wireless card in a PCI port; all setup.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:12 PM

Did you put thermal paste on the cpu before putting the cooler on? If you used the stock cooler it likely had this already on the cooler so there would be no need. EDIT: I see that you used the evo 212 so this question is valid. I have the same cooler and you do need to put thermal paste on the chip as the cooler does not come with it pre-installed.

If you can install and run speccy, please do this and report. It could be temperature related. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

If you can not run speccy, check your temperatures in bios to be safe...

If the temperatures are ok, run Memtest86, burn it to a disc and run at least 3 passes. http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Edited by zingo156, 29 January 2014 - 04:04 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Alien51

Alien51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:12 PM

CPU - 10 C

Graphis - 27 C

MOBO - 27 C

Storage - 28 C

Did 1 pass so far, and all is green. It's still running.

#4 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:31 PM

This sounds like a power supply problem. They usually shut down and won't restart until power is completely removed for a while. That usually doesn't happen unless there's a hard short somewhere, or one of the current or overvoltage monitors in the PSU have failed or are trying to.

Your BIOS has a System Health window that shows all voltages, currents, and temperatures as running values. Get into setup, go to that screen, and just watch it for a while. If you see one or more values jumping around a lot, that may be the problem.

It could also be something like a screw floating around under the mobo. Try GENTLY tapping on the case with your fist, to see if anything changes - while monitoring the system health screen.

Again, if a PSU shuts down from an overload, you have to kill power to it before it will reset.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:48 AM

I have to agree with davnel, there may be a problem with your PSU. Out of curiosity: your cpu temp says 10 C, that is 50 degrees fahrenheit, this seems pretty cool. What is the ambient room temperature? Is the pc in a very cooled room? 10 C seems pretty low when the other hardware is running around 27 C. I am just curious if possibly there is a temperature report problem or maybe there was an extra 0 that was missed.

Edited by zingo156, 30 January 2014 - 08:50 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:44 PM

You could install HWmonitor: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html and turn on logging. Log from the time you boot windows until it shuts off. It will give information that could help rule out a power supply. It will record the minimum and maximum voltages, we can check for spikes or drops in voltage.

#7 Alien51

Alien51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

I have to agree with davnel, there may be a problem with your PSU. Out of curiosity: your cpu temp says 10 C, that is 50 degrees fahrenheit, this seems pretty cool. What is the ambient room temperature? Is the pc in a very cooled room? 10 C seems pretty low when the other hardware is running around 27 C. I am just curious if possibly there is a temperature report problem or maybe there was an extra 0 that was missed.

CPU temp is probably cooler due to the 3rd party cooler.

Judging from what you and davnel have already said (and my other thread here) it would seem the PSU is the problem.

I do have HWmonitor installed, but I don't see an option to enable 'logging'.

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:57 AM

I think it may just log by default. If you let it run for a few hours, you can take some screen shots with the windows snipping tool and then post them here. The reason I asked about your ambient room temperature is that 10C is very cold, unless you had some sort refrigerating cooler the cpu should be close to ambient room temperature, usually slightly warmer. I do think your best move would be to use a different PSU and see if it solves the problem.

Edited by zingo156, 06 February 2014 - 09:51 PM.

#9 Alien51

Alien51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:17 PM

K so I bought a new PSU and everything is working just fine now.

SOLVED.

#10 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:21 PM

Good. Glad it's solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users