Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The following partitions can't be recovered (testdisk)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ctrl-alt-mat

ctrl-alt-mat

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:03 PM

Hi all, please have a look at the attached screenshot, I have a 3TB HDD that went RAW, I used testdisk and here's what are the results of the "Quick Search". I now have several questions:

1) What does "The harddisk (3000 GB / 2794 GB) seems too small" means?

2) What does "The following partitions can't be recovered" means?

3) Which one should I choose before hitting "Continue" because several "partitions" listed shows a size of 3000 GB / 2794 GB? In the attached screenshot, I currently highlighted the first 3000 GB partition that testdisk found... am I right doing so?

4) Once I choose "Continue", will I be able of listing the files found prior to "Write" the changes?

5) And what about the label "MS Data", does it mean it's NTFS?

Thank you all for your time and support,

ctrl-alt-mat

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:25 AM

Hi

If you post your testdisk.log file, I'll let you know if I see anything that may explain that.

-=[ James ]=-

#3 ctrl-alt-mat

ctrl-alt-mat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:10 PM

I'll then do another "Quick search" and this time a log file will be created which I'll upload later... thanks a bunch!

#4 ctrl-alt-mat

ctrl-alt-mat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

Hi all, please find attached the testdisk log file

Attached Files

#5 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:04 PM

It looks like it found these partitions...

1 P MS Reserved                   34     262177     262144 [Microsoft reserved partition]
 2 P MS Data                   264192 5860532223 5860268032 [Basic data partition]

I can't tell if you did the "Deeper Search" after the "Quick Search" from those logs.

If you have not done the "Deeper Search" yet, that may help. However this is a HUGE drive of almost inconceivable size when you are looking at it bit by bit with a "Deeper Search" and could take days to complete in some cases.

You can try running TestDisk again and this time choose ADVANCED instead of ANALYSE and if you see the partition

2 P MS Data                   264192 5860532223 5860268032 [Basic data partition]

try highlighting it and select LIST. If you are able to see your files, you can copy them from here to another drive or you can go ahead and try the "Deeper Search" (if you did not do it before for the log you sent me) and after many hours it may allow you to repair the drive.

If LIST does not display your files then there is a good chance that the file system is damaged and that is not something that TestDisk is good at fixing. You should try a data recovery program for that. Here is one that I use lately (I change all the time with these) that has a free trial and is less than $50 if it is successful.

If that is still more than you want to spend on this then you can try PhotoRec which is included with TestDisk

Which ever way you choose to go, remember that it will take a long time because these programs look at the drive bit by bit and it is a 3TB drive.

-=[ James ]=-

#6 ctrl-alt-mat

ctrl-alt-mat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:42 PM

Thanks James,

LIST option is not available on the partition #2 so I tried using Wondershare Data Recovery instead but this tool only detects the drive as a ~750GB instead of a 3000GB?! is that normal since it's a "damaged" filesystem?

I wish TestDisk would/could "repair" the filesystem of this 3TB drive instead of having to go through a "manual" recovery like Wondershare offers...

FYI Wondershare Is currently "scanning for lost volume" this "750GB" hard drive... I'll see the results later and I'll let you know.

Thank you for your time and support,

ctrl-alt-mat

#7 ctrl-alt-mat

ctrl-alt-mat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:57 AM

Hi James, Wondershare Data Recovery finally told me that it couldn't find any recovarable partitions and that I should try a "raw" recovery instead (which would lose filename, etc).

Should I go back to TestDisk with a "deeper" search instead? I could send you the "deeper search" log later...

Thank you for your time and support,

ctrl-alt-mat

#8 ctrl-alt-mat

ctrl-alt-mat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:56 AM

Hi James and all,

I went back to TestDisk (on Linux) to do a "Deeper Search" and here's the log attached. I saw several partitions where the P option was available (LIST FILES) but most of the says "Can't open filesystem. Filesystem seems damaged."

What's next? Photorec for a RAW receovery instead of "repairing the filesystem"?

Thank you all for your time and support,

ctrl-alt-mat

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users