Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi Connection Issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:55 PM

I was recently given a Coby Kyros Model Number MD1042. I cannot for the life of me get this thing to connect to my wifi. My router is an Arris TG862G supplied to me by Comcast. I am certain that the Wifi configuration on the router is correct, since I have no difficulty in connecting to the Internet with my laptop. All software and firmware for the router are current. The signal strength indicator on the tablet shows my connection, and says that the signal strength is excellent. I've tried everything I can think of. It is of interest to note that my Wifi requires a password, but the tablet does not prompt for one when I try to connect. I am in range of someone else's Wifi, and as an experiment, I tried to connect. I was immediately prompted to enter a password.

I cannot seem to locate a user manual for the tablet anywhere. The user manual for my router can be found here:

http://www.arrisi.com/support/documentation/user_guides/_docs/TG862G-CT_User_Guide_Standard1-0.pdf

Any help that someone could provide will be greatly appreciated. :)

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:31 PM

Just an informational link related to the manufacturer.

http://consumerist.com/2013/10/16/coby-electronics-shuts-down-taking-customer-warranties-with-it/

A quick Google search and I see this to be a recurring problem with that device and model. No clear cut answers unfortunately.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 563 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:30 AM

Isn't that wonderful... I also found that the issue seems widespread, and found no good answers, which is why I came here. BC is my go to source for help when my own efforts fail me.

Edited by MelissaPleases, 30 January 2014 - 08:32 AM.

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#4 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 563 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 02:20 PM

Okay, now for the update: You'd think that by now I would realize that most often, it's the simplest and most obvious action that will solve an issue.

I rebooted my router, and the tablet now connects to the web.   :hysterical:

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:00 PM

And shame on me for ASSUMING you had done that to begin with, and not mentioned the obvious. :P

Glad you got it working. Now let that be a lesson to all you kids at home. Don't over think the problem....

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:01 AM

I've also found that AES or TKIP can be an issue on some phones. And if using a custom ROM the modem might always be a proper match for your phone if it's not for your country.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users