Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bent PCU pins

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zooterman

zooterman

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:06 PM

Hi,

Has anyone been able to replace damaged pins, I have a 2011 socket M/b with bent pins.

Thanks.

Wal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:15 PM

I have never tried replacing but I have successfully bent pins back into a workable position 2 times. I used very small dental picks and small tweezers. I used a cheap test cpu in the slot first to verify that it worked properly.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:24 PM

I also have overcome bent pins, using a credit card to move them back into proper position.

If you are missing pins, that's something I have no experience with.

Louis

#4 zooterman

zooterman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

There is a broken pin on this M/B,  just wanted to know if you could remove and replace them,  or are they fixed in position, I have straightened many pins but not replaced any.. I have a laboratory microscope and the tools to do it, but if it is fixed in position it's a waste f time.

Wal

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:32 PM

I have replaced  ONE pin on a CPU.  It was a very delicate solder job with a low wattage iron (17 W.) on a variac to get just enough heat to solder the broken pin back in place.  Remounted and it worked okay.  Never had to try another yet.  A broken pin jammed in the socket is more common and folded over pins come second.  Too amny ham fisted users trying to do their own upgrades.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users