Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't shutoff

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Iceviking

Iceviking

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:39 AM

HI,

I've done a lot of research, but I've reached the end of my skills to fix this.

I attached a Speccy Log file if that helps.

The last major thing I did was to remove two older graphics cards and installed one newer card.

I don't think the problem started right away after that.     But not long after that. 

Other than that I can't think of anything else that I have done to cause the problem.

Computer seems to run fine otherwise.  

If I shutdown through windows it appears to work normally,    But after the monitor quits getting a signal, the fans, lights, etc on the computer continue to run.    

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks in advance.    

BTW.... Bleeping computer is the greatest.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:29 PM

Did you uninstall the old video card drivers and install the new one? If not download the newest driver from the manufacturers website and install, if it is nvidia then choose the "clean install" option if available.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Iceviking

Iceviking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:08 PM

I'm pretty sure the Nividia software did remove the older version when it installed the new one.

I check my device manager for driver versions and the programs for any version other than the current one.

The only way I would know for certain would be to delete the new one too I guess and reinstall it?

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:43 AM

With nvidia when you do clean install it should remove the older versions for you. It is possible that there is still an issue when the new one was installed. You certainly could try to uninstall and reinstall. It won't hurt anything and doesn't take long. You might try going to the motherboard vendors website and update the chipset drivers, these usually include the ACPI driver which can sometimes cause problems. ACPI = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Iceviking

Iceviking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:36 AM

One of the things I noticed was the new card had an 8 pin and a 6 pin connector.    The old one just had two 6 pin.  

I don't have a single harness with a 8 pin.   I have some that are 6 pin with a 2 pin attached that will fit together as an 8 pin.   And the card came with a 8 pin to 6 pin adapter.

I've tried it both ways but doesn't seem to solve this problem.

I'll look into the chipset dirver issue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users