Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installed Wrong W7 Version?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 jsinclair92

jsinclair92

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:00 AM

Yesterday my girlfriends laptop went a little crazy on us, after a few hours I gave up and decided to re-install windows on her laptop and give it a much needed fresh start. She had no Windows CD or even a sticker on the bottom with the specific operating system. So I winged it from my own memory and guessed it was W7 Professional 64bit. Well the install worked perfectly, until I noticed it wouldn't connect to the Internet because the drivers couldn't be found. I figured this meant that i had installed the wrong version of Windows, maybe i had a 64bit vs 32bit problem? Is there any way I can find out what version was previously on it so we can get the right one on the computer? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Will5200

Will5200

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:04 AM

What model is it? Dell, HP, or Lenovo, and with most manufacturers, you should be able to get the drivers with just the serial number, assuming the computer manufacturer deems that model as Windows 7 compatible.

#3 jsinclair92

jsinclair92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:09 AM

It is an HP ProBook 4530s. I would like to make sure I get the original version of Windows installed on the laptop, just to avoid any problems or anything.  Is it possible to find out what was on it originally?  It would be nice if it had a windows sticker on the bottom, most (usually all) computers do.

#4 jsinclair92

jsinclair92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:12 AM

I googled it and it says MS Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) is the original OS on that computer, which is the one I installed on it yesterday.  So what could be causing the driver issues?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

It's a laptop...just use the built-in restore-to-factory-defaults mechanism.

Louis

#6 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

Louis

They would have wiped it out, when they did the install.

#7 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:10 PM

Yesterday my girlfriends laptop went a little crazy on us, after a few hours I gave up and decided to re-install windows on her laptop and give it a much needed fresh start. She had no Windows CD or even a sticker on the bottom with the specific operating system. So I winged it from my own memory and guessed it was W7 Professional 64bit. Well the install worked perfectly, until I noticed it wouldn't connect to the Internet because the drivers couldn't be found. I figured this meant that i had installed the wrong version of Windows, maybe i had a 64bit vs 32bit problem? Is there any way I can find out what version was previously on it so we can get the right one on the computer? Thanks!

All newer CPU's are 64-bit, even though companies choose to install 32-bit OS on them.  Just go to the computer manufacturer website and download the 64-bit version drivers.  If it is a Realtek chipset, just go to http://www.realtek.com.tw/ and download the 64-bit Networking and sound drivers.

It helps to post manufacturer & model # info when you are asking these questions.

#8 Will5200

Will5200

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:32 PM

All the drivers should be here (kind of a long link): https://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdHome/?sp4ts.oid=5060882&spf_p.tpst=swdMain&spf_p.prp_swdMain=wsrp-navigationalState%3DswEnvOID%253D4059%257CswLang%253D%257Caction%253DlistDriver&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

Louis

If the System Recovery is on a separate partition from the C: drive you should be able to install Windows without removing the other partition by doing a custom installation.

When you are asked "where do you want to install Windows"?, click on Drive Options (Advanced) and click on the partition you want to change.  You then choose the format option you want.  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:56 PM

At jsinclair92

Look in disc management to see if you still have three partitions.  You should have a C: partition, a System Reserve partition, and the system recovery partition if it has not been formatted.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:06 PM

If the recovery partition exists here is how to access it on an HP.

Follow the directions here:How to Perform an HP System Recovery. While the model name shown on the page is different from your laptop model the directions will still work. HP systems generally follow the same procedure.

You will want to choose the option to restore the laptop to factory condition. This should also install all the drivers. Using the recovery system will not ask for your Windows key. Make sure you have the power adapter plugged into the computer and the wall outlet before you start.

If you see something that you don't understand or have questions about anything you can cancel the install and come back here and ask. However, once the install does start you will have to let it complete.

Be patient while the reinstall is taking place. When finished, you can then install your antivirus, firewall, etc. There will be a lot of Windows updates also.

Reinstalling the operating system will NOT delete the recovery partition unless you have for whatever reason deleted it.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 29 January 2014 - 07:08 PM.

#12 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

Louis

If the System Recovery is on a separate partition from the C: drive you should be able to install Windows without removing the other partition by doing a custom installation.

When you are asked "where do you want to install Windows"?, click on Drive Options (Advanced) and click on the partition you want to change.  You then choose the format option you want.  

Not when you do a Full install, such as the OP did.  When you install a 64 Bit OS on a drive that has a 32 Bit install of Windows, it has to wipe the full drive.  That means away goes the recovery partition.  When the OP installed the 64 bit version, which was not what came with the machine, no recovery partition is created.

#13 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

At jsinclair92

Look in disc management to see if you still have three partitions.  You should have a C: partition, a System Reserve partition, and the system recovery partition if it has not been formatted.

It will not be there in this case.  I have done enough of these installs, I can tell you first hand that the way the OP did it, because it is not the OS that came with the machine (ie created recovery discs), it has been wiped out.

The machine will actually run better with the 64 bit version anyways, so they are better off keeping it on there, and just installing the 64 bit drivers.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:11 PM

Please do as Dan and OB have suggested...and let us know the results.

Louis

#15 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:44 PM

Please do as Dan and OB have suggested...and let us know the results.

Louis

It will not work, due to as the OP stated, they installed a non-OEM install of Windows 7.  That means that there is no recovery partition installed.  There is no need for the OP to attempt to find it, because it does not exist, due to they did not use Recovery DVD's for that computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users