Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Format secondary HDD? Without affecting new SSD?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Defuzer

Defuzer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:38 AM

Hey, I just bought a great desktop custom build off of my friend, everything is wiped and clean but it only has a 120GB SSD with windows 7 installed. I have an old 1TB HHD that I'd like to install, but it has been over a year since its been used....

I have no idea what's on the HHD, I can't remember, but I do know that I wasn't as smart with my Internet usage/security as I am now.

Is there a way to plug in the HHD to the computer and format the disk without it infecting the SSD if there is some sort of virus on there?

Edit: Moved topic from General Security to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:31 PM

What happens on one hard drive...has no correlation to what occurs on the other, except when HD1 is accessing data files stored on HD2.

You can attach the second drive (using proper cables) and format it by just going to Disk Managerment.  Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Once formatted, you can then store data files on it.

Louis

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,925 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:38 PM

AFTER you  have installed you OS on the SSD,  then you can connect the  1 TB drive as the second or slave drive.  If the drive is still viable, the data will still be intact.  If it recognizes the drive but can't find anything on it, then go ahead and format it and use it to load all your programs, spreadsheets, music, videos, whatever to instead of the SSD.  The idea of the SSD is to have your OS and most important or speed essential applications on the first drive and data and other programs on the second.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users