Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my 3770K Rig died :(, So shall i go X79?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ZashieYo

ZashieYo

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:30 AM

Go X79/LGA 2011? I've considered a extra 100 to put into a processor like a 3930K or a b it more for a 4930K, maybe a Xeon E5? but i also considered the similarly priced 4820K and 4770K to the 3770K here.

I'll be doing

Lots of Photoshop/illustrator/Flash Work :D, hopefully very very big ones.

Maximum Quality Video streaming (Very heaviest on our internet and the PC), Game streaming or 3D Rendering/Modeling and compiling, with my Illustrator/PS/Flash

3D Modeling/Rendering

Digital art of course

Gaming.

Servers (SRCDS/Minecraft)

Want the computer to be fresh for the next 8 years :D, but i want it to be my epic friend

The video streaming i think will be a big nack along with doing compiling so those extra cores of the 3930/4930 Would come in nice and handy i guess?, i'll also fit 16GB RAM into it but may extend to 32 or 48..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:28 AM

Hi, i was surprised when you mentioned about keeping the system for next 8 years but based on your uses, your better off spending on the flagship 2011 CPU which is the 4960X as it will hopefully last for 8 years and see if 16GB cater your needs, you can always upgrade in the future.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:50 AM

Eight years is a long time in technology :D  Ever heard of Moore's Law?  Let's see, eight years ago the absolute top of the line would probably have been something like a $999 Pentium D Extreme Edition or something like that, or the Xeon multiprocessor equivalents if you were really pushing the boat out with a multi processor workstation.  And an ATI X1900XTX graphics card or something like that. Unfortunately they would be comprehensively beaten by today's Celeron.

Anyway your uses obviously demand a powerful system.  I'd personally weigh it up against something like a Core i7-4770K as the overall system costs (motherboard etc. etc.) would be a lot lower and it's still a fast CPU, if it meant being able to upgrade sooner than eight years.  Who knows what the future will bring?  If money is no object then of course a 4930K or 4960X will be the way to go...

BTW what's dead on your current PC?  It can't be that old.

Edited by jonuk76, 29 January 2014 - 10:24 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 ZashieYo

ZashieYo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:40 AM

Eight years is a long time in technology :D  Ever heard of Moore's Law?  Let's see, eight years ago the absolute top of the line would probably have been something like a $999 Pentium D Extreme Edition or something like that, or the Xeon multiprocessor equivalents if you were really pushing the boat out with a multi processor workstation.  And an ATI X1900XTX graphics card or something like that. Unfortunately they would be comprehensively beaten by today's Celeron.

Anyway your uses obviously demand a powerful system.  I'd personally weigh it up against something like a Core i7-4770K as the overall system costs (motherboard etc. etc.) would be a lot lower and it's still a fast CPU, if it meant being able to upgrade sooner than eight years.  Who knows what the future will bring?  If money is no object then of course a 4930K or 4960X will be the way to go...

BTW what's dead on your current PC?  It can't be that old.

Oh dear :0, but i remember having a athlon 3800+ PC and despite its age it was still a hell of a good PC in terms of what i needed it for years ago (i played a lot of source games and such) so i was thinking it'd last long :D. (it was about 6 years old at the time i got it)

Lemme edit this D:

Okay so well, budget wise i'll ideally just want a 200-250 budget but i can vouch for more if theres a super good deal kicking about, I'd not mind another 3770K even, I still have the Z77 mobo kicking about and some DDR3 1333 RAM (as the i5 and i7 originally shared the ram) so other bits might not be a worry if i was to just get another ivy/sandy bridge i7, but a 4770K would sound real nice too :D, just...yeah that's kinda where i'm looking for.

I know one option that could be thrown into the mixture would be a AMD FX 8350 but we're already going to get one in the future to do a lot of server tasks + 2 of my friends have 8350's and i liked my i7 cause it was the blue one among the red lD, and it just gave it a bit of personality, in a odd way i think of my computer as if it was a pokemon or a digimon and well my i7 was a big digivolved digimon lD, but it was just a part of me to.

okay i just really really miss my i7 :(, i love my i5 2320 to bits but the reason why i want the 3770K is that the 2320 can't do high end streaming + how we're getting our internet upgraded to support the streaming it'd just be a little miss if i didnt have my i7 here with me,

Btw i know this might be crazy but my i7 doesn't show any visable damage?, the story with it was is this

i had set to have the PC it was in rebuilt, new mobo and graphics card and everything and well in the past when i did use the i7 it began to develop a restarting issue? where it'd restart several times before going to the post screen? i thought nothing of it and just continued that was before it was due to be rebuilt, but now when it was put into a new mobo (first i tried with the Z77 DSH3 I had for it) the system would not power on, this turned out to be a really really bad PSU, cause another case was i had a GTX 590 to put into it and i noticed a small spark come out of the 590 even when the machine wasn't turned on, and there was very very very very very faint smoke that came out, so i presumed the PSU had just died (it was a VERY VERY bad alpine PSU) so i took the i7 and the 590 out and put the i7 into my i5 machine (Z68 AP-D3 mobo, with updated bios) and the i7 would just continuously restart and restart and would not get the post screen, i took it out and put the i5 2320 back in and the machine worked fine so i guess it was the end of the 3770K :( but the CPU doesn't show any visable damage, like none at all no burn marks no this or that nothing, same for my 590 590 looks and smells just okay, No burnt bits or nothing.

if there is any possible way to repair the CPU :(? is there any other issue causing it? as said when it was in the Z77 board it didn't turn on, i put the b75 Board back in it didn't turn on, put it in the i5's board and it continuously restarted without getting to the POST screen.

btw couldn't put the 590 into the i5 machine, it's PSU Is only 500W.

I really miss that i7 :(, it was just....it was a friend...my one, mine D: ...i'm sad even thinking of it.

btw before you wonder, the i5 is the family computer i just happen to get a hand of in the meanwhile.

Edited by ZashieYo, 29 January 2014 - 12:06 PM.

#5 ZashieYo

ZashieYo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 06:17 PM

UPDATE

I FIXED MY 3770K!

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:39 PM

UPDATE

I FIXED MY 3770K!

What was solution?

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 ZashieYo

ZashieYo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

UPDATE

I FIXED MY 3770K!

What was solution?

It was to simply give the CPU a little clean and for some reason it worked again OWo infact if anything its working even better than before.

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2014 - 03:00 PM

Oh, never had of that before :/ but glad it worked out for you :)

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users