Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi Internet disconnecting by itself, not loading / lots of lag

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 caccigirl

caccigirl

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:03 PM

I'm on a Sony Vaio laptop running Windows 7. I have AVG free 2014 as my active antivirus, but occasionally run Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, CCleaner, and Temporary File Cleaner to keep things running smoothly.

I've had this issue for a while now. AVG recently picked up a few trojan viruses on a scan last week, and I thought my issues would have been resolved, but alas, they have not.

Also, before I begin, I want to note that I'm having these issues only on this laptop, even though I have another laptop computer, an iPad, and iPhone that I use the same wifi connection on.

So here's my issue. I'll get on my computer and pull up Chrome. I wait for the wifi to connect. Sometimes it connects without a problem, other times I sit and watch the little blue circle as it loads and loads, then tells me that it was unable to connect. I'll disconnect and reconnect, and usually that works. Whenever I'm using the internet, the wifi randomly disconnects. It can happen as often as every 5-10 minutes.

I've scanned with everything I can think of, I've unplugged and restarted the modem countless times....I honestly do not know what to do. I don't know if this is a virus or if there's something wrong with my computer's devices or....I honestly don't know what to do, so please, please help.

Thank you in advance,
Cassidy

(I have posted this once before, a few months ago, but never received any help so am posting again.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SpywareDoctor

SpywareDoctor

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:24 AM

Many types of devices can cause wireless interference including Bluetooth devices, cordless phones, fluorescent lights, microwave ovens, outdoor microwave links, WiMAX, wireless game controllers, wireless video cameras, Zigbee devices, and so on. Even bad electrical connections can cause broad RF spectrum emissions.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:42 AM

Do you reside in a rural area? I do and have that problem all the time with my WiFi. I contacted Verizon and was advised this issue can occur due to the positioning of their closest tower which is not optimal for my area. However, my cell phone and my wife's smart phone do not experience the same type of disconnects...just our computer.

After a random disconnect, it may take several tries to get the connection back. Sometimes I even have to wait up to an hour.

You can call your ISP and they should be able to investigate the signal strength in your area.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users