Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just to be clear (Question about dual booting Windows 8 with Vista)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Forbiddentwo

Forbiddentwo

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:53 PM

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-dual-boot-windows-8-windows-7-windows-vista-or-windows-xp

"Since the Windows 8 boot manager is so different, in a multi-boot configuration, Windows 8 should always be installed last. If you install it first and then other versions of Windows, the new boot manager will be overwritten and you won’t be able to boot into Windows 8. Then, you need to repair the boot manager with the Windows 8 installation disc or use some third-party software to manage and fix your boot entries."

Will anything go terribly, terribly wrong if I have Windows 8 Installed now, install Windows Vista on a new partition, then use EasyBCD to fix my boot manager?

Can it cause any hideous, unforeseen problems?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:39 AM

If you really need Vista, run it in a Virtual Machine.  The problems lie that if your machine only is made to run 8.x, due to no available drivers for Vista, you will run into issues at the beginning, and for the long term.

Vista had a horrible issue with handling Memory.  It was what is considered a "Cross-over" OS from XP to 7.  Just like how ME was a Cross over OS from 98 & 2000, to XP.  Microsoft had good intentions with both of those Os's, but they messed a few things up.  Such as marketing, trying to use older hardware that was for XP and make Vista run on it.  That is why when 7 came out, everyone jumped the Vista ship and moved over to 7, due to it handles memory better, started working again with devices, that Vista would not work with.

#3 Forbiddentwo

Forbiddentwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:03 PM

Ugh.  I'm trying to run an old game that just refuses to run on later versions of windows, but when I try running Vista in Virtualbox I get a d3d error (and yes, I went through the shenanigans involving direct x and guest additions)... stupid finicky game...

#4 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:32 PM

What game is it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users