Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Experiencing high ping spikes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Minus-Zero

Minus-Zero

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:03 PM

Already posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/520696/rpcss-dcom-crashing-and-plug-and-play/page-2

THis was for a malware issue, and they tried to help with networking but suggested I try here.

Essentially in games such as League of Legends I will notice game freezes where my ping will spike to the 200-600 range. My buffering speeds on videos also has been stagnating more than normal as of late, but that could be another issue entirely since youtube seems to be unaffected.

I have switched to ethernet, a 50 ft cable as I was using a wireless adapter; there has been no changes from the switch and the issue persists to the same extent. I changed my routers channel also to try and alleviate the stress.

I will mention my roommates aren't experiencing the same sort of lag according to them.

Would yall be able to provide any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:26 PM

I had malware problems also recently that left my system unstable... Windows Repair All-in-one got my system back on its feet again. Just make sure you set the system backups and restore points when prompted.

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:42 PM

This subject has been discussed on here before and other boards.  If the high spikes are outside of your ISP's network, on the game servers or going overseas, there is not much you can do, other then use different DNS servers on the computer, to see if that helps.

If the high ping spikes are due to issues with your ISP, file a ticket with your ISP.  Almost every ISP has a direct forum, over at dslreports.com.  Post some trace routes to various servers (ie google.com, yahoo.com, bleepingcomputer.com, a local tv station website, your ISP website).  Also do a Traceroute to 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 (google dns servers), along with 205.171.2.65 & 205.171.3.65 (Qwest DNS servers).

I use the last two I posted, due to those came out as the better ones for me, then Comcast's, when I ran GRC's DNSBench.  Most routers allow you to do a Ping & Traceroute from them, some do not.  If your router does allow for those two tests, compare its results to the results you get from Windows.  Also do the same with a Linux Live DVD, like Xubuntu 12.04 LTS 32-bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users