Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Repeated clicking noise before BIOS

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JesusRamirez44_*

Guest_JesusRamirez44_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:56 PM

System Specs:
1Gb ddr2 micron tech ram
Amd radeon hd 5450
Diablotek DA 300w psu
500Gb Western Digital Caviar blue
Amd athlon x2 Dual core processor 5000+

This is an issue that started when i purchased my radeon gpu months ago so i got a new psu and it still continues anf although the pc boots fine its concerning me any help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_JesusRamirez44_*

Guest_JesusRamirez44_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:03 PM

Heres the youtube video

So far i know it cant be the hard drive

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:21 AM

Hello.

I reviewed your video. It is a bit difficult to distinguish the sound.

What I do hear is your cooling fans reving up to speed and your hard drive spinning up.

It would be better if you could remove the computer case side panel and listen around until you locate the exact area the noise you speak of is coming from. 

There are tricks of the trade that help us locate the exact source of the noise.  

Some use an every day kitchen utensil called a wooden spoon. The object there is to place the handle at your ear canal and the spoon ladle against various parts of the computer hardware. Usually the noise will be more pronounced once the spoon makes contact with the source of the noise.

You can press it on the frame of a fan, but be careful not to let it slip and cause damage to the fan blades.

Sometimes, hard drives will make a rattling noise when it is working perfectly well. Sometimes this is the case when in the BIOS setup utility, performance is chosen for the hard drive performance over slower but quitter setting.

Try the spoon trick, or try a straw, just be careful not to injure your ear drum in the process.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 Guest_JesusRamirez44_*

Guest_JesusRamirez44_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

The sounds source is near the power button i'll remove it and investigate further

#5 Guest_JesusRamirez44_*

Guest_JesusRamirez44_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

Reassembled my pc and came to the conclusion that the Radeon causes the clicking without it it boots immediately any idea why?

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:17 AM

You may be hearing fans kicking in, in my last system I installed a video card with a fan it added a click during boot.  My current rig has massive case fans they start with a whack I have SSD drives so no drive clicking.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users