Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Home Bootmgr missing

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jeasko

jeasko

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:41 PM

Hi all

was doing some looking into this and have seen some really helpful threads on here and have tried a few of the the things suggested but with no luck.

Have a compaq mini netbook with no optical drive that was working fine up unitl tonight when i turn it on all i get is the bios and boot order screen then

Bootmgr missing

Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

so have succesfully got a thumb drive up and working with xPUD and have saved the most important files and tried  the MBR code option to no avail and have read a thread where windows 7 mbr file was used to replace the corrupt one but cant be sure this is whats up with mine

Little bit of background on the lead up this was that I did have golsearch on this netbook until a few days ago where i managed to get shot of it as it was driving me nuts, so im susspecting malware/virus is the root cause here

any advice is greatly appreceated as without the optical drive it will be a nightmare to reinstall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:44 AM

Hi

Windows XP doesn't use BOOTMGR. It uses NTLDR and the message i expect is "NTLDR is missing". Are you sure you are getting "BOOMGR is missing" message ?. Can you check whether the files NTLDR , NTDETECT.COM and BOOT.INI are present on the root of "C" drive ? (via XPUD ).

Edit:

If there is a USB flash drive or Memory card is plugged in to the system, please remove them and restart. Sometimes system may try to boot from USB and display BOOTMGR/NTLDR message. 

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 29 January 2014 - 04:46 AM.

#3 jeasko

jeasko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:14 AM

Nope nothing plugged in and definately bootmgr message it's odd I know as I would accept it if I was running windows 7 not xp

Also have put this under virus forum as well

#4 jeasko

jeasko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:45 AM

Ok so have got this PC working by copying the 2 files ntldr and ntdetect.com to my c drive if my sick PC now just need to make sure the PC is properly scanned etc

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:20 AM

Glad to know that system is back to life again  :thumbup2: .

Btw, your issue might be related to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/522327/uninstalling-conduit-searchprotect-deletes-ntldr-making-windows-xp-unbootable/

#6 jeasko

jeasko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

Anshad yes got it back and just upgraded my AV from my ISP so running that through my PC right now and it was related to the uninstall of conduit so I can work out

Is it worth running system restore to make sure missing files are restored correctly?

#7 jeasko

jeasko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:04 AM

Or is there a better program to use?

#8 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:31 PM

Hi

Using "System Restore" will bring back the evil "Conduit" program so i won't recommend that. I would recommend using ADWCLeaner to remove any remnants of this PUP ( Potentially Unwanted Program ).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

First Press the "Scan" button and let the tool to finish scanning ( make sure to temporarily disable AV to avoid conflicts ). Then press the "Clean" button to remove all the remnants of PUP tools.

#9 jeasko

jeasko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

Anshad

Thank you for the advice once my AV has done a full scan I'll download the adwcleaner and run that through

#10 jeasko

jeasko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:25 PM

holy god that was an eye opener registrys infected were more than i care to look at as were files! this program stays on my desktop and will most likely get run periodically regardless of what precaustions i take or what AV is installed

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,786 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:24 PM

If you were to post the log from ADWCleaner, ......it could be helpful to others.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users