Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Booting from USB

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 CurlyOR

CurlyOR

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:12 PM

I have a DEll Inspiron 620 and I have an apparently OLD virus on it, that didn't get picked up by newer scans. 

It seems to be blocking programs like combofix, which is highly annoying.

My IT guy gave me a flash drive to try and I cannot get the computer to boot,  I shut down and did F12 but it's not giving me any of the boot options that I keep seeing on various sites.   There is nothing about booting from a USB flash in either the first popup box or the larger menu when I click on the first. 

Clearly, I'm missing something.

Help, please.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:39 PM

I found this, no idea if it will work for you. http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19269403/19467881.aspx

This is what stuck out for me:

One thing that seems *very* clear is that the timing of getting both to “Setup” via the F2 key and the “Boot Menu” via the F12 key appears to be extremely critical.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 CurlyOR

CurlyOR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:25 PM

Thanks Animal.   I have no problem doing the F12 and getting to that menu.  The problem is that there is NOTHING on that menu that allows me to boot from the flash drive.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:48 AM

Hello, In the 620 service manual I noticed this.

Was the USB key attached when you booted the computer?

USB Storage Device — Insert the memory device into a USB connector and restart the computer. When F12 Boot Options appears in the lower-right corner of the screen, press . The BIOS detects the device and adds the USB flash option to the boot menu.

Here is the pdf of the service manual for your reference.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-620_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

#5 CurlyOR

CurlyOR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:08 AM

Yes, the flash was in ( tried several different ports) at each reboot. Still never added .
Thanks.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:21 AM

You may have to update the BIOS but that has the chance of bricking the computer so I would not do it unless absolutely necessary.

There is an option to boot to USB via a boot manager called Plop. You burn the iso file to a CD and boot it. It gives the options to boot from USB. I have used it to boot a USB flash drive from a computer that does not support USB boot.

Are you sure the USB flash drive is bootable. That could prevent the computer from showing it on the Boot menu.

Is this an OS that you are trying to boot?

Plop

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagers.html

Edit: had to add the link

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 January 2014 - 10:22 AM.

#7 CurlyOR

CurlyOR
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:29 AM

No, I'm trying to boot a virus scan called combo fix, I think, that my IT guys at work gave me. I have something hiding in the temp files , called snots or something like that. I'm not at that computer. It causes pop up errors every time a folder is opened or renamed, etc.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:43 AM

If not used right combo fix can cause more issues. If this is a home computer, I would start a thread in the "Am I infected" forum and hopefully somebody will help you. If no one responds after 3 days, there is a link at the top of the page.

#9 ProfessorCPU

ProfessorCPU

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:46 AM

It sounds to me that the usb is not bootable either.  If it is indeed bootable... you may try plugging it into the back of the computer instead of the front.  I have seen that cause an issue in the past.

Also... have you tried booting the computer into safemode yet?  It's possible safemode will work and then you can run combofix from there.  Although combofix is pretty much a last resort effort to fix a computer.  It is a great utility.  Fixes many issues.  But it is said to be so powerful that sometimes it can mess up a system.

If safemode is not working you can also try Safemode with Command Prompt.  If it gets to the command windows you just need to input the path to your combofix file and run it.

#10 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:50 AM

Safe mode would be a good choice.

Edited by Netghost56, 29 January 2014 - 10:51 AM.

#11 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

Booting from USB is not very consistent on some computers.  On my own desktop (about 4 years old) the USB stick is detected by the BIOS as a hard disk.  Going into the Hard Disk option in the boot menu allows you to select which "hard drive" you want to boot from.  This works pretty consistently.  On an older (2006) computer I have, it has no boot option for USB flash drives and it doesn't detect them as a hard disk either.  But I have made it boot off a flash drive by choosing "Boot From USB-ZIP" or "Boot From USB-FDD".  This only works with some flash drives, but not others.  I'm not really sure why.

7sbvuf-6.png

#12 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,081 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:43 PM

"" It causes pop up errors every time a folder is opened or renamed, etc.""

Please do not run ComboFix without supervision.....you could easily be left with an expensive paperweight...Please follow JohnC_21's advice

Start a new topic HERE

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users