Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get laptop to start up or boot from disc

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Zaria

Zaria

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:42 PM

Hey, 

I'm at my wits end with this laptop. I've gone through pretty much all of the basic options to no avail. 

It won't start up normally, ends in blue screen ("A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage...")

It won't start up in any of the safe mode options. 

It won't boot from disc by itself, when I do it manually it loads and then I get the blue error screen.

It won't repair. 

Last known good configuration doesn't work, also ends in the blue error screen after loading.

I ran diagnostics for hours and it brought up nothing. 

Should probably add that prior to the crash I had been having some some malware issues.

There are a lot of files/documents that I need on it so factory reinstall, even if it were possible, is not an option. 

Please can anyone help at all? I'm being quoted a huge amount of money to repair it and would like exhaust all options before I cave. 

Thanks

Z.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:53 PM

If you can boot from a CD you will be able to recover your important documents. Download Puppy linux 5.2.8. It is a relatively small download of 100MB. Burn the iso file with Imgburn or other software that can burn an image file. Boot the Puppy CD and copy, not move, files from your hard drive to a USB flash drive. Here is a link showing the steps. I would not do the disk check as explained. Just copy your files. Then you can decide if you want to do a factory image or remove the malware via a bootable CD which may or may not work.

Note: If you decide to use imgburn, make sure you do not install the optional toolbars.

Note: Your hard drive will be shown in the lower left of the desktop in Puppy. Your USB flash or external drive will show up when attached to a USB port. Clicking once on the drive will automatically mount the drive and a window will appear showing the contents.

Edit: your post says you cannot boot from disk. "It won't boot from disc by itself, when I do it manually it loads" I am not sure what you mean by doing it manually.

Make sure your CD drive is the first boot device in BIOS. If the Puppy CD does not boot, it is possible to boot from a USB flash drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 January 2014 - 08:56 PM.

#3 Zaria

Zaria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

Edit: your post says you cannot boot from disk. "It won't boot from disc by itself, when I do it manually it loads" I am not sure what you mean by doing it manually.

Make sure your CD drive is the first boot device in BIOS. If the Puppy CD does not boot, it is possible to boot from a USB flash drive.

When I put in the disc, then manually shut down and restart the disc it wouldn't load by itself even after changing the boot order in bios - I thought it was meant to just do it. Instead I then have to go through to boot options via F12 and select to boot from cd/dvd/cd-rw drive.  I then get "press any key to boot from cd", then it goes to a black screen with "windows is loading files" and a long bar at the bottom and appears to be loading but eventually goes to the blue error message screen every time. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:39 AM

I would try the Puppy disk and see if that boots. It could be a bad CD/DVD, the drive, or both. It's looks like the computer is not recognizing the CD/DVD and booting directly to Windows.

Does the blue screen give a file name?

#5 ProfessorCPU

ProfessorCPU

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:12 PM

Sounds like maybe a bad RAM chip.  If you have multiple memory chips... try removing one of them.  Then if the problem persists swap the chips and try booting on the other chip.  Memory issues will always cause spontaneous bluescreens and system restarts.

It could also be a bad or corrupt hard drive.  You could try booting to a LiveXP disk if you have any way of getting one. But sometimes if you have a ram or hd issue not even that will boot.

#6 Zaria

Zaria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

Does the blue screen give a file name?

All it says is this: 

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need. 

If the problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options, and then select safe mode. 

Technical information:

***STOP: 0x0000C1F5 (0xC01A000A, 0x84D6E000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Edited by Zaria, 29 January 2014 - 12:15 PM.

#7 Zaria

Zaria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:23 PM

Sounds like maybe a bad RAM chip.  If you have multiple memory chips... try removing one of them.  Then if the problem persists swap the chips and try booting on the other chip.  Memory issues will always cause spontaneous bluescreens and system restarts.

It could also be a bad or corrupt hard drive.  You could try booting to a LiveXP disk if you have any way of getting one. But sometimes if you have a ram or hd issue not even that will boot.

How do you remove a memory chip? And if my hard drive is bad/corrupt could my files be unrecoverable? 

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

Before you start removing the memory chip(s), you can run a memory diagnostic but try downloading the Puppy iso and booting from that. If that fails them you can run the memory diagnostic.

#9 Zaria

Zaria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:02 AM

I'm having problems burning the Puppy Linux image - I've followed the instructions in the link but I keep getting this:

The disc image didn't burn successfully because an error occurred.(0x80004005)

I didn't use Imgburn of any other burning software just did it straight from Windows 8 after it downloaded - could that be the problem? If not does anyone have any other ideas? 

Tx  

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 08:38 AM

Download and install Imgburn. Windows 8 may have burnt the disk too fast. Just remember when installing Imgburn to opt out of any toolbars or software it asks you to add. When burning the image with Imgburn, use a 4X burn speed.

#11 Zaria

Zaria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

Thanks, managed to burn it with imgburn and tried to boot the disc but only got this far before it stalled:  

Loading drivers needed to access disk drives............... done

Searching for Puppy files in computer disk drives...       done

Loading the ' lupu_528.sfs' main file...copying to ram    done

Setting up the layered filesystem...                                 done

Performing a ' switch_root' to the layered filesystem... Kernel panic - not syncing

g: Attempted to kill init! 

So disappointed...

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:05 AM

Were you doing this test boot on the Windows 8 computer or the Vista Computer?

#13 Zaria

Zaria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

The vista, a Dell Inspiron 1545. 

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:55 AM

You could try downloading this version of Puppy and burn the iso. It is a later version and may be more compatible with your computer. On the download page it is Fatdog64-621.iso If this does not work, I would use an adapter like this. Or you could purchase a enclosure like this. A local computer shop may have one of these enclosures also.

I would remove the drive being very careful around the circuit board and use the adapter or enclosure attached to your Windows 8 computer. If you are not comfortable removing the drive, have someone else you know do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users