Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Instances Of Svchost Running , Hogging Mem./CPU

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JulianAS

JulianAS

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:24 PM

Hello Again Forum,

After having my computer repaired (H-P Pavilion dv7 / 64-bit / AMD Phenom II 3-core / 4 GB RAM ), upon starting the machine now the RAM usage starts at 80+ %, 

I have to use Wise PC Engineers' Memory Optimizer suite to get the RAM usage down to about 37-40%  but it inevitably creeps up again, particularly so, whenever

I open Chrome.  I an running several desktop gadgets, Norton  360 (with its resource-hungry, multiple-instances of ccsvhst.exe).  Apple's mobile device service always

seems to be running along with various auto up-daters for other programs.  But it appears that Chrome, MsMpEng.exe, explorer.exe are quite heavy on RAM resources.

I'm not sure why the system RAM usage has increased since the repair except to say that part of the overall repairs included a "re-flowing" of the mother-board.

In the past, prior to my pc's repair, I have noticed in the task manager ( screen shots included) that when Chrome is open, there are multiple instances of  Chrome.exe *32.  These several instances of chrome.exe*32 appear at once when the browser Chrome is opened.  Is there any way to tie these iterations of chrome.exe*32

to the individual processes or services?  Thanks again Forum for your time, service and all your help.  Cordially, JulianAS.                                                                                                  

Post Script:  I ask your forgiveness for the ridiculously tiny thumbnails.  I have tried for over twenty minutes to enlarge these .jpg's but i don't know how to do this.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:00 PM

In regards to Svchost.exe...see my reply here.

One reason for heavy CPU usage is that you may have too many applications loading and unnecessary services running at startup when Windows boots. Almost all applications you install want to startup when Windows loads. If you allow all these startups, they will compete for and use system resources resulting in poor performance and a slow system. Many of these programs are not needed and disabling them can save resources and improve performance as they are available from Start > Programs or an icon on the desktop if needed.

Other reasons for performance issues include disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, too many browser add-ons/plug-ins, extensions, toolbars, failure to clear browser cache, not enough RAM, dirty hardware components, etc. Incompatible browser extensions and add-ons can impact system performance and cause compatibility issues such as application hangs (freezing).

Windows System Configuration Utility is one way to check a computer's list of startups but it was not intended to manage the programs that run when Windows starts.

To disable unnecessary startups, use a free Startup Manager like one of the following:

A better alternative is to use a free Startup Manager like one of the following:If you are unsure what any of the program entries are or if they are safe to disable, search the name using one of the following databases which hosts a collection of lists that provide information on the components of legitimate and malicious programs..
BTW, Wise PC Engineers' Memory Optimizer is software which claims to be an optimizing tool with registry cleaning capability that purports to improve performance, make repairs and enhance the speed of a computer. These types of tools and the claims they make are borderline scams.

I recommend you remove it.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.
Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

Further, these types of junk programs are often considered Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs). To learn more about PUPs and how you get them, please read: About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:13 AM

Chrome uses a different process for every window and every extension, it was ment so if a tab freezes you can terminate it without the entire browser shutting down,

The only way to have less chrome processes running is to have less tabs opens, if you don't like having a process for each tab on chrome i think your only option is to switch to another browser.

Note: I'm no experter, this is all i understand from investigation and experience.

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users