Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another SLOW computer

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 tld6008

tld6008

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:25 PM

I am looking for some assistance.

I am running XP pro on A Dell Pentium 4  2.53 GHz w/ 512 MB Ram and a 200 GB hard drive. My computer takes several seconds accessing any program and may times when I select an Icon on the desk top it does nothing.

I am using latest verion of Firefox and it sometimes takes over a minute for it to load.

Anti virus is Avira free  version and  the windows firewall is on.

I use the free version of Malware bytes and Ad Aware to scan for malware which I constantly find. I also started using a program called System Mechanic and it constantly reports the need to increase system memory, free up hard disc space and a couple other things.

Frequently there will be error messages reporting unresponsive scripts being run. Don't know what that is about.

Thanks,

tld6008

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

Out of 200 Gigs on your hard drive, how much space is left?

Edited by ranchhand1, 28 January 2014 - 06:59 PM.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,732 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:17 PM

Take a look here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/ and here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/87058/slow-computerbrowser-check-here-first-it-may-not-be-malware/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 tld6008

tld6008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:33 PM

Ranchhand, over half of HD is free

Animal, I will check these links

Thanks

#5 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:54 PM

Two of the best Adware/Spyware removers are Adware Cleaner, and JRT. Both are free and excellent, just run them and let them remove whatever they find.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:17 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:19 AM

Based on my own experience, any PC with 512MB of RAM is going to be slow and there isn't much you can do about it. And with Windows XP support ending in April, it may be time to put this PC out to pasture. Been there, done that last year.

#8 tld6008

tld6008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

below is the link to the snapshot, I was going to post the file contents here but it looked overly long, let me know if I should had done that.

Frankp316, I had thought of a newer computer but 8 months ago this one worked fine I figured it had some corruption problem due to the irratic way it acts. Mouse cursor slow to move, no action when clicking on link very slow screen refresh (sometimes)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/XUV8qPr44vLeW5SL48BHHMe

Edited by tld6008, 29 January 2014 - 02:41 PM.

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:43 AM

What I told you is the first thing that should have been told to you. And no one did that. Like I said, been there, done that. You don't have enough RAM to run this PC. And at this point because Windows XP support is ending, it's not worth it to add RAM. You're better off getting a new PC. This one is obsolete. I'd be jerking your chain if I told you anything else.

#10 ProfessorCPU

ProfessorCPU

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

Although I agree with almost everything frankp316 says...  Adding more memory would be cheap.  RAM is not all that expensive.  If you cannot afford a new computer at the moment purchasing new ram will help.  But do remember xp support is going away.  I heard they are still going to push critical updates a little while past the April deadline... but no matter what many companies have already stopped supporting xp.  Many websites have issues on xp machines because xp cannot upgrade past IE 8. 

I would also run ADWCleaner, Junkware Removal, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, CCleaner and even a chkdsk /r /f to scan the hard drive for errors.

Go into Add and Remove programs and uninstall any un-needed programs as well.  Check your Startup folder in the startmenu to see if there is any programs that are booting with windows that you can delete.  With a slower computer you want to prevent as many programs from booting up with windows as possible.  Especially because you are low on ram.

What Antivirus are you using?  Some antivirus programs are resource hogs and should not be used on a pc with low ram.  Norton 360 is one that I do not recommend at all on a slow system.

#11 tld6008

tld6008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:40 PM

In my first query  (see bold)I related what I have been doing regarding malware removal and anti virus.

"Anti virus is Avira free  version and  the windows firewall is on.

I use the free version of Malware bytes and Ad Aware to scan for malware which I constantly find. I also started using a program called System Mechanic and it constantly reports the need to increase system memory, free up hard disc space and a couple other things".

I just ran the chkdsk as suggested and nothing found although it took 2 hrs to run. I probably have some ram I could install but the way this started I thinking somthing else was the culprit.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

Please...uninstall System Mechanic, then run chkdsk /r and see how the system performs.  I suggest that you read each of the following:

Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2563254

Registry cleaner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Registry Cleaner FAQ, PC Support - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/registry-cleaner/a/registry-cleaner-faq.htm

Louis

#13 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:48 PM

I would also recommend removing ad-aware as that program has now been replaced by other programs which require no installation. It is also a huge resource hog. You do not need it.

What I told you is the first thing that should have been told to you. And no one did that. Like I said, been there, done that. You don't have enough RAM to run this PC. And at this point because Windows XP support is ending, it's not worth it to add RAM. You're better off getting a new PC. This one is obsolete. I'd be jerking your chain if I told you anything else.

His RAM is also RDRAM which has been discontinued.

Edited by cryptodan, 29 January 2014 - 04:10 PM.

#14 tld6008

tld6008
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 07:49 PM

hamluis, I took your and cryptodans advice and undeleted System Mech. and Ad-aware then ran chkdsk as you suggested. My computer is definately running faster. The reason I loaded Ad-aware in the first place was due to hyper links appearing on web pages that lead to ad pages they we different colors but looked like a legit link. The Syst mech was loaded to try and correct problem likely caused by the Ad aware prog. Thanks alot, Any other suggestions?

#15 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:20 AM

Lubuntu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users