Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive making clicking noise. Computer hangs at dell bios

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Catsgalorelol

Catsgalorelol

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:06 PM

I recently turned on my Dell Dimension 4100 and it would not boot past the dell screen. I need help and currently do not want to buy a new hard drive. It is WD400 40GB hard drive by Western Digital.

Also:

I tried to use a USB and plpbt to launch the xubuntu os but it would not work because my pc doesn't support USB in bios boot options.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:01 PM

If your hard drive is making clicking sounds it is dying or dead. I'm sorry.

Your current HDD is quite aged, it has done well to last this long.

#3 Catsgalorelol

Catsgalorelol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

Ok. I'm planning to buy an IDE hard drive 7200 rpm. The cd/top disc drive is also broken.

#4 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:06 PM

If you actually have a 40 gig hard drive, be aware it probably is over 10 years old. That small a drive hasn't been made since the 1990s. You did not describe the "clicking" noise in your post, you only mentioned it in the title. How do you know the clicking is coming from your hard drive? Is it constant or only occasional?]

[EDIT]: BTW.... DVD drives are cheap now, and very easy to replace, and require no configurations of your operating sytstem. They start working automatically.

Edited by ranchhand1, 28 January 2014 - 07:09 PM.

#5 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:08 PM

Time for an upgrade if you're still using IDE drives...

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:10 PM

cd drives are really cheap these days, can be had for $10.

For both the HD and CD drives you will need to check the connectors when buying replacements, as you may need an adapter for the power supply. Or to find suitable replacements.

As Sniper said, you may consider upgrading to a newer machine, if that's possible for you.

Edited by TsVk!, 28 January 2014 - 07:13 PM.

#7 Catsgalorelol

Catsgalorelol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:29 PM

Haha well this is a Dell Dimension 4100. The HD is making a constant clicking noise because I put it up to my ear and could hear it. I want to repair this computer so I can use it and a laptop that I'm planning to buy soon.

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:23 PM

you cannot repair that drive, it is now landfill. You can pull it apart though, the silver platter inside makes a nice drink coaster for your desk.

#9 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:48 PM

The reason that I asked is that there are other things that can make a clicking noise, and before I told you it definitely was the HD I just wanted to make sure. Both the HD and the DVD are easy to replace, you just mount the new one, plug in the power and data cables and you are done. The HD will need to be partitioned and formatted, you can do both from your XP disk. Re: your old HD: these Hard Drives contain two of the most powerful magnets made; they are crescent moon shaped, and are very powerful. You may be interested in pulling them out of the drive for various uses. Just a thought.

#10 Catsgalorelol

Catsgalorelol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:29 PM

So what if I don't have my xp disc? I don't know where it is.

#11 ranchhand1

ranchhand1

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:48 PM

Do you have the key number for the version of XP you are running? It should be on a sticker somewhere on the computer. If you do, you can download the same version of XP that your key number is for, burn the file to a CD, start the installation and when it asks for the key use yours. This is perfectly legal, M/Soft is interested in the key number not the plastic disk. There are websites that supply ISO copies of Windows systems for free download; I forget the one I have used in the past, I will search for it and post back if I find it.

If you lost the key number you are up a creek without a paddle. Try Ebay or purchase one somewhere, but be sure to get  a legit key number for install.

#12 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:24 AM

If you can not find your xp key/disc and would have to buy a key (this plus a cd drive and ide hard drive), I would recommend instead of repairing your 4100 to invest a bit more and get a refurbished computer that is newer.

Something like this would be a huge upgrade and would be running windows 7 for $159: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2626676&CatId=5138

Or this for $129 http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7841918&CatId=2628

You can look around for better deals... Core 2 duo machines are still ok and would be a giant leap forward from your Dimension 4100.

If your 4100 does everything you need you can fix it, but with the age of the system I personally wouldn't recommend spending much if any to fix it.

Edited by zingo156, 29 January 2014 - 09:35 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#13 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:57 AM

Definitely need to upgrade instead of repairing...the motherboard is probably well on its way to the Great PCB in the Sky...

As zingo posted, refurbs are great deals. Even new systems like a Dell slimline are worth it. My mother got a win7 Dell system for $300- thats the desktop, flat screen LCD monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Also....you could get a Linux GUI and run it off a USB...but you'd still need something for storage, possibly a WD Passport.

#14 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:34 AM

Definitely need to upgrade instead of repairing...the motherboard is probably well on its way to the Great PCB in the Sky...

As zingo posted, refurbs are great deals. Even new systems like a Dell slimline are worth it. My mother got a win7 Dell system for $300- thats the desktop, flat screen LCD monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Also....you could get a Linux GUI and run it off a USB...but you'd still need something for storage, possibly a WD Passport.

I do not think that computer will boot to a usb without using PLoP. From what I can find online, the specs state the cpu is likely a pentium III. A bootable cd version of linux would likely work and would be free but slow. Also this still requires a working cd drive and possibly a usb flash drive for storage.

Edited by zingo156, 29 January 2014 - 11:52 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#15 Catsgalorelol

Catsgalorelol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:05 PM

It doesn't really matter anyway. The Dell was really old and had no important files on it (That I can think of.). I'm planning to get a new laptop, specifically the Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users