Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIN7

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:55 PM

HI,I will get WIN7 & SEAGATE SSDH HDD in a few days is there anything that i need to be aware of before i start my new install.

I found SEAGATES disk wizard thats supposed to be helpful,i have found some youtube videos on how to transfer from old HDD to new HDD,but i would like to partition the new HDD and put whats on the HDD'S that are in this PC right now so if i want to look something up i will not have to go thru 180GB of data to

do it,the HDD from SEAGATE has a 1TB HDD+ the SSD PART.

Also when doing transfer whats on the other two HDD'S will the WINXP OS'S come with the transfer,any input would be appreciated,thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,472 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:14 PM

As far as the operating systems goes there is no direct upgrade from Win XP to Win 7. Win 7 will have to be installed fresh on the SSD once you get it. Then you can migrate files from XP to Win7 using the migration tool. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dd671583.aspx I would download the newest mirgration tool for XP though; there is a video there too. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-easy-transfer

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 AM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:22 PM

Do not even need the Migration tool.  The best thing for the OP to do, is just back up important documents, pictures, videos, music, and do a complete wipe of the drive, then install 7 as if no other OS has been on there.

That is, when they put in the DVD and it asks what to do, the OP needs to choose "Customize" and allow 7 to wipe and install.

Now for the OP.  You need to make sure you have the latest drivers for your computer on a USB stick.  Sometimes Windows 7 will not find them after the install.  Especially certain Network drivers.  Post the manufacturer & model# of the computer.  Also make sure you have the latest bios installed for your computer motherboard.

I do not like upgrade installs & migration, due to you always run into problems along the way when doing those two.

Edited by hamluis, 29 January 2014 - 11:48 AM.
Removed unnecessry quote - Hamluis.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,472 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:18 AM

It's just easy transfer bud. Not everyone knows where to go and what to save. It makes things a whole lot less painful to hunt for files, but whatever.

Edited by hamluis, 29 January 2014 - 11:49 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

#5 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:54 AM

HI,I just got my SSDH&WIN7 disk,it is my understanding by watching some videos that i need to disconnect the two existing HDD'S so i do not install the WIN7 OS on a old HDD then plug the HDD that i want to transfer data from back in.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:10 AM

that's the safest way....

#7 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:22 AM

This is what Speecy says my systems is,but when i go and check in system properties it says i have a AMD ATHLON™ 64x2 dual core processor 6000+,which is the 3.0Ghz speed.

Which one is right i tend to believe the system properties display.

Operating System
    Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+    139 °F
    Windsor 90nm Technology
RAM
    4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 375MHz (6-6-6-18)
Motherboard
    Dell Inc 0CT103 (Socket M2 )
Graphics
    Panasonic-TV (1920x1080@60Hz)
    1024MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 (EVGA)    121 °F
Storage
    149GB Seagate ST3160812AS (SATA)    101 °F
    186GB Western Digital WDC WD2000BB-00KEA0 (SATA)    99 °F
    7GB SanDisk Cruzer Facet USB Device (USB)
Optical Drives
    ATAPI iHAS124 C
Audio
    NVIDIA High Definition Audio

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:30 AM

Both of those CPU specs you presented look the same to me, just a slightly different way of presenting them.

I just checked... same thing.

#9 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:54 AM

i need to disconnect the two existing HDD'S so i do not install the WIN7 OS on a old HDD then plug the HDD that i want to transfer data from back in.

I would definitely do that.

You mentioned partitioning your new drive. With a 1TB drive I certainly would, but it's a matter of preference. Some people like everything on one big drive.

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#10 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:06 AM

As technonymous eluded to, if you're not sure where all your important data resides, use a transfer tool. If you didn't use a mail client (Outlook, Outlook Express etc...) and used webmail instead, you don't have to worry about messages or account settings. Then all you probably need is your documents, pics, videos, and favorites, which should be easy enough to round up, unless you're organizationally challenged and they're spread all over the place!! :wink: :P

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#11 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:13 AM

HI,I was inclined to partition the new HDD so i could transfer what is on both of them since they about 7 to 8 yrs. old which is probably getting to the end of their life expectancy.

Another thing i was looking at was my CPU temperature at 139 degrees will that come down when i install the SSDH i have several PC'S that i can take a fan off of and install on one

of the grids on this PC.

#12 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:26 AM

I know your question involves about how to transfer data from your XP OS to Win7 OS 

But have you run Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor?

I have seen some Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor reports for incompatible drivers but some that report to ensure that you get an upgraded driver

--- As already mentioned, have drivers on a USB stick

--- I have a couple of friends with XP to Win7 upgrades but having drivers that then are being reported they are incompatible and trying to upgrade such a driver for Win7 isn't happening through Device Managers upgrade driver

--- Are you ok with having proper drivers ready for Windows 7?

BTW my friends upgraded Win7 OS do run but performance issues are always in play

On your question about will the 139 °F come down?

--- I don't know yet but what is your expected temperature you'd like to see?

#13 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 04 February 2014 - 05:59 AM

HI,I was inclined to partition the new HDD so i could transfer what is on both of them since they about 7 to 8 yrs. old which is probably getting to the end of their life expectancy.

Another thing i was looking at was my CPU temperature at 139 degrees will that come down when i install the SSDH i have several PC'S that i can take a fan off of and install on one

of the grids on this PC.

The temperature is quite high if it's just idling at what is reported there.  Installing a new hard drive will probably not have any effect on it.  Clearing out any dust from fan intakes, and the heatsink, and generally improving case airflow may help.  A further step may be to remove the heatsink and refit with new thermal paste.  If it's using a standard AMD cooler, you could fit a new heatsink and fan for possibly a major improvement - what you can fit will depend on the room available in your case.

Edited by jonuk76, 04 February 2014 - 06:01 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#14 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,472 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2014 - 08:01 AM

As technonymous eluded to, if you're not sure where all your important data resides, use a transfer tool. If you didn't use a mail client (Outlook, Outlook Express etc...) and used webmail instead, you don't have to worry about messages or account settings. Then all you probably need is your documents, pics, videos, and favorites, which should be easy enough to round up, unless you're organizationally challenged and they're spread all over the place!! :wink: :P

That's what I was getting at. The point of using it is to rip the user profile from one system and stitch it back into another. The newer tool has been updated better so it knows that you want to move the user over so it grabs all the essential things. It's really a pain to have to dig around to export E-mail, E-mail accounts, contacts, favs. What about firefox browser profiles with all your master password/passwords are stored?

When you just copy stuff over you lose access. It's best to just move the entire profile over.  With the tool it not only moves the profile it moves the account. Once you export the files it'll ask you for a password to protect it too. You can move your pofile up on the cloud half a world away and drop it on a system and it'll work. When you import it on WIN7 the tool knows the difference in the file tree structure from XP to Win7. It'll create the user account on the new system and place everything right where it needs to be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users