Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sticking heat sinks to graphics ram - aftermarket cooler

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:19 PM

Hi guys, 

So recently my blower in my HD 5870 decided to pack up and make a lot of noise. My first thought was to open it up and grease it but after having to drill out a couple of the screws I just went with an aftermarket cooler (the Setsugen SCVSG-1000). So I'm in the middle of installing it, and the cooling came with all these little heat sinks to put on top of the ram (and I assume anywhere else the old heatsink used to touch the card). However I seem to have a bit of a problem. The method of applying the the heatsinks to the ram is to just peel the tape off the back (to reveal the adhesive) and then just stick them to the ram. Only problem is the sticky which is already on the back on the heat sink is really really crap and 1 or 2 of the heat sinks keep dropping off after my card has been inverted for a few seconds. It worries me that after a while more will start dropping off and start ripping the fan apart after I install it back into my PC.

I thought about putting a bit of thermal paste on them but I don't think that sticks very well.

I have some modelling glue sitting next to me which is looking really really tempting but I thought I better ask here first.

Also, I cleaned all the ram with isopropyl alcohol.

Thanks

Edited by sniperNZSAS, 28 January 2014 - 05:37 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:26 PM

Update, well I put some trust in the standard adhesive, had it running in the computer for 20 minutes. Noticed one had dropped off. Just as I was shutting the computer down, another dropped off, hit the fan, took 4 others off with it and snapped two blades off the fan. Glue it is.

#3 waldojim42

waldojim42

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:16 AM

Don't use glue. There is adhesive thermal material available. Use it instead.

Laptop: Alienware 14 : Intel i7 4700mq : 8GB ram : Nvidia GTX 765 : 256GB Plextor M3 : 1080P IPS display

Test rig: AMD Phenom X4 955 @ 4.0Ghz : MSI 970A-G46 : 8GB Ram : 128GB Plextor M5s : 2x AMD 5770's (Flashed to 6770) : PC Power and Cooling Silencer 750 : Pioneer BR

Hackintosh : Gigabyte GA-H61m : Intel Celeron @ 3Ghz : 8GB ram : EVGA GTX 550Ti : Patriot Torx 2 64GB : Silverstone Strider ES-50 : OSX Mavericks

#4 sniperNZSAS

sniperNZSAS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 93 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:41 AM

Would you be able to provide me a name for that type of produce? Thanks.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:26 AM

Arctic silver thermal Adhesive

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +