Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8-unable to restore internet access after malware removal

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CuriousMin

CuriousMin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:49 PM

This Windows 8 ASUS laptop was brought to me when the internet stopped working, and of course the first thing I did was check for malware and remove it. I'm very confident that the malware is gone but I haven't been able to access the internet with the laptop yet.

Here are some things I've already attempted.

In the Command Prompt (Admin) window, I typed each of these and afterwards restarted computer. No success.
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Went back to Command Prompt (Admin) and typed in:
netsh int ip reset reset.log
(Result was Global, Interface, Neighbor, and Path all reset but the fifth line reads--)
Resetting , failed.
Access is denied.
Resetting , OK!

Typed:
netsh winsock reset catalog

Restarted computer, still no access.

I uninstalled the antivirus she had that I'd never heard of; no access. I disabled the firewall to see if its settings were causing it; no access. I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver for the wireless card. I still get no access either wirelessly or by Ethernet cable. I went into windows firewall and found that IE and Firefox had no permission, added them and still no access.

I'm willing to retry any and all of these again in pursuit of the problem.

Edited by CuriousMin, 28 January 2014 - 04:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,978 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:28 PM

Following the list of what you have done, this may be something of a longshot, but are you actually certain that the WLAN and ethernet drivers you have installed are the drivers for the devices that are actually installed, not the ones the manual says are installed ?  It wouldn't be the first time that different devices have been installed on the production line because of supply problems with the 'correct' ones. Speccy (www.piriform.com) might help you here.

As an alternative, if just to see if the computer can connect at all, have you tried it with a USB Wi-fi dongle ?  I have an elderly laptop with a fried wi-fi unit and use a dongle in that whenever I need it to connect to the internet. If it does connect with a dongle it would suggest problems with the network cards themselves.

Finally, if this laptop is new enough to be still under warranty, how about dumping it back on the supplier ?

Chris Cosgrove

#3 CuriousMin

CuriousMin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 01 February 2014 - 12:05 AM

Thank you for your response. I have had the computer for over a week now and was getting a little desperate. I didn't want to use System Restore because that could restore the malware as well, and the laptop came pre-installed with Windows 8 with no cd so reformatting (which some people seem all to happy to do for every single problem) seemed like an incredible hassle for what was most likely missing or corrupted registry keys or tampered with settings somewhere. Windows 8 however, has this new thing called Refresh. If I understand it correctly, it wipes all the system files and programs and reinstalls like it just came from the store--without removing any personal files. Fortunately she didn't have a ton of programs installed, it appears she mostly uses it for Itunes, web surfing, and Facebook. So I gave it a shot, and it fixed the internet connection. It will always irk me that I didn't figure out what was causing it, but it was definitely something in the software; and now it's fixed and she can use it again! The trick will be making sure she doesn't get infected again of course. : /

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,978 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

T'm glad you got this one sorted !

The trick will be making sure she doesn't get infected again of course. : /

That is always the trick isn't it ?

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users