Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video & audio out of sync, choppy, jerky in windows XP.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 peerajmeri

peerajmeri

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:56 PM

Hi, till about a week ago, my PC was playing the videos fine, but now my video and audio are totally out of sync. The video is usually 10 seconds behind the audio. The videos are choppy and jerky. It's driving me crazy. This happens with all videos like from Youtube, Dailymotion, IMDB etc.

I have scanned my PC with MalwareBytes AntiMalware , Avast, Bitdefender and all the scans are fine. I have used CCleaner to clean up the PC too.

I have also checked the Ping and download /upload speed at speedtest.net and everything is OK. This problem happens with both of my browsers- Chrome and Internet Explorer.

This is my some of my system info...

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition service pack 3.

Processor: x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2593 Mhz

I am an amateur at this, so please be kind enough show me in detail, all the steps that need to be taken. Really appreciate any help I can get to solve this problem. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:35 PM

Does this happen ONLY with video/audio from streaming media (Youtube, Daily Motion, etc), or with files that are downloaded and/or saved on your computer?

Do you have any mp3 songs or videos on your computer that you can play? Perhaps with Windows Media Player?

#3 peerajmeri

peerajmeri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:56 PM

Hi, thanks for taking an interest in my query. I do not have any audio or video files saved/downloaded  on my PC so I do not if they would run normally, but the youtube etc  streaming videos are a problem. 

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:05 PM

Alright, lets test this:

Go to this page, select Download, under Video right-click Download and select "Save Target As". Save to Desktop. When the download completes, play the video. See if your audio/video is in sync with it.

#5 peerajmeri

peerajmeri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

I downloaded this video on my desktop. When I tried to open it, I get a QuickTime Player window saying 'Please install Apple Application Support'. How do I install it?

#6 peerajmeri

peerajmeri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

Also, Before downloading this video, I played it streaming and the audio is fine , but the video is lagging and jerky.

#7 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:44 PM

Use Windows Media player to play the file.

If Media Player is unable to play the file, download the CCCP video codec pack and install it. Or you could opt to install the VLC player.

What I'm hinting at is the possibility that your Adobe Flash player could be out of date, but if you can't play a synced media file you may have other issues.

If you want to skip to the Adobe Flash diagnostic, go to this page.

Do the same for Java.

Edited by Netghost56, 28 January 2014 - 05:24 PM.

#8 peerajmeri

peerajmeri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

Hi, before i follow your instruction posted above, I would like to mention that I downloaded Apple application support and then played the downloaded TED video that you had asked me to save. This downloaded video plays perfectly. please let me know what to do next. thanks.

#9 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

Alright then I would proceed with the Adobe and Java instructions I posted previously.

#10 peerajmeri

peerajmeri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:12 PM

I clicked the Adobe flash diagnostic link that you sent me and followed all the instructions and i do have the flash player for Chrome. i also installed the flash player for IE. However, on clicking the Java link, I get a Java page  that says this.....

"

Sorry! We couldn't find the document requested.

The file that you requested could not be found on this server. If you provided the URL, please check to ensure that it is correct."

What should I do?

#11 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:25 PM

Ah, try it now.

Somehow added some characters to the link the first time.

#12 peerajmeri

peerajmeri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:41 PM

I clicked your edited Java link and followed the instructions and this was the last reading....

Verified Java Version
completion_checkmark.png
Congratulations!

You have the recommended Java installed (Version 7 Update 51).

I then tried to play a youtube video and it is still out of sync and choppy/jerky.  :(

#13 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:52 PM

You might try Firefox...that's what I use.

I don't use Chrome, but I did find this:

On Chrome, try switching between the built-in Flash and Adobe Flash just to see if it makes a difference. Make sure only one Flash player version is enabled at all times in the browser. To do so, type chrome://plugins in the browser's address bar and click on Details on the top right.

Locate Adobe Flash Player there. If you have Flash installed, you will notice that Chrome references two different plugin versions. One in the Chrome program directory, the other in another location on the system.

#14 peerajmeri

peerajmeri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:27 PM

I did what you said about switching between Flash and disabled one of the Flash in Chrome plug-ins ( I did not know which one, so I just selected one at random). I then played a Youtube video and there was some improvement. I did have to click the 'J' key repeatedly on the keyboard to sync the audio and video ( I read about this somewhere). A couple of videos after that were the same, i.e I had to hit the 'J' key so sync them. 

#15 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:26 AM

What is your internet specifications? What ISP and what kind of connection do you use? DSL? Wifi?

Go to this page - www.speedtest.net and report back what the up and down speed is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users