Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System does not recogonize a cell phone as mass storage device via usb

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jlinno

jlinno

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

Back again.

I searched and searched to find the drivers and/or software needed to no avail.

Prior to an OS reinstall, I could connect my Motorola WX416 via USB cable and it would appear as a Mass Storage Device.

Now all it does is recharge.

I've noticed that processes that previously were executing (Motorola), are now not executing and I don't remember just what they were.

USB does recognize an external HDD.

Don't quite know were to go from here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

I found this on their support site. Not sure but at the bottom to the FAQ is a link for drivers.

#3 jlinno

jlinno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

Yea, I've done that.

If I attach an external HDD then attach, the HDD shows as drive F, and Drive E shows as RECOVERY(E:), with a file folder recovery (which is empty), and 1 file ResSys.ini with a type of configuration settings.

Running the Safely Remove Hardware it shows device E and F as one device.  When I remove it, it removes the device but tells me Mass Storage Device cannot be stopped now, try later and the line in Safely Remove Hardware is gone.

When I attach the external HDD, I don't get a message of new hardware found.  It's like the USB ports (with the exception of the wireless mouse), are permanently identified as an external HDD and it doesn't check for any new devices.

I'm baffled!!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,638 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:54 PM

Download USBDview. This will list all of your USB devices that have been attached. Sometimes the drivers conflict with one another. You can remove any vendor specific devices to see if it helps. The drivers will reload when the device is attached again. I would not delete any network adapter drivers if you have them though. The program may also give you an idea of what is going on when the phone is attached.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

#5 jlinno

jlinno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:20 PM

If by remove you mean disable, it has no affect.  There was one USB device which would not disable.

It just does not recognize the attached phone as a mass storage device.

Could it be the phone itself??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users