Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Freezes at account login screen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 acventura74

acventura74

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:43 AM

I have a HP G62-340US Notebook. Recently last month (December 2013) whenever I leave my laptop on for extended periods of time with no activity in goes into sleep mode (black screen) and when woken up (moving the mouse etc.) it takes me to the account log in page. An intermediate stage it goes through is I'll move the mouse, the keyboard with light up (wifi button has a light dial to indicate its status, caps lock lights up, and the power key lights up). It takes about 5 to 10 seconds while "loading" before I get to the actual log in page. However, recently it stopped doing that. When I move the mouse to take it out of sleep mode, the keys light and the computer freezes will trying to get to the log in page. It is a black screen before it goes to the default log in page (sky blue background). The computer at this point is completely unresponsive. I've tried powering down manually by holding the power key, then trying to turn it on, but it doesn't get beyond that screen. The only remedy seems to be to unplug the charger and wait for the laptop to die (takes 90 minutes). At that point, I can turn it back on, and it will load to the login screen without freezing. This has happened 4 times since december. As you can assume, its a big inconvenience because a lot of my work is on my laptop and to wait for it to die and then turn on is time consuming. Moreover alot of important files are on my computer which I can't afford to lose. Any opinions on how to fix this? Or perhaps treatment strategies (shutdown evertime after I use it, etc)? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:12 AM

Not a good idea to zero out your battery (run to 0%). If it was me I'd remove the battery then pull the plug. But even doing that is unadvisable.

I disable my laptop's sleep mode when plugged in. I just don't see the point if it's getting power from the wall.

What power scheme are you using and what options do you have set?

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

Netghost56 has hit the nail on the head, Pull the AC Adapter and remove the battery if the power button will not shut it down.

And this suggestion "I disable my laptop's sleep mode when plugged in. I just don't see the point if it's getting power from the wall." is what I would do in Your situation while working on solving the problem.

Also set a auto save where possible, such as MS Word.

Note: When You force a power off, Let the laptop run chkdsk at startup if it wants to do so. Do not cancel the operation.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users