Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with new RAM sticks in two different motherboards.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ZooBooBooZoo

ZooBooBooZoo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:11 AM

Hi all,

I'm having 2 problems with 2 different motherboards and the new memory sticks I got for them.
In both cases the old memory stick was fine, but I wanted to get new, faster ones, and also get two sticks for dual channel memory for each motherboard.

1) DFI LanParty BI G41-T33B:
When I replace the old stick with the new ones the screen would stay black.
No Bipping sound from the motherboards, like it makes when it can't recognize/support a certiain memory stick. everything seems to be fine EXCEPT the screen would stay dark.

I tried placing just one of the sticks or the other but nothing helped and the problem remains:
with the old stick - everything is fine, new stick(s) - screen is black.

2) ASUS P5KPL-AM:
I replaced the old stick with two news. but only 2GB are rcognized. I checked the BIOS(it's not a windows issue, only 2GB are recognized in the BIOS). and in one of the BIOS Setup pages it says something like:"Installed Memory size: 2048 Usable Size: 2048" I'm not sure if it means there's room for 2GB more or that I filled the max capacity... I checked the motherboard model in asus' website and also the CPU-Z report and the capacity should be 4GB as far as I can tell.

Thx in advance, ZBBZ.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

Just to help out, here's some additional info on your systems:

DFI LanParty BI G41-T33B Specs

DFI Crucial RAM recommendation

ASUS P5KPL-AM Specs

Asus Crucial RAM recommendation

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:35 AM

A quick question, Did You go to the Crucial site to get the part number? Asus motherboards in particular can be picky as regards memory.

I would also suspect that the memory is also not compatible with the DFI motherboard too.

Netghost56 was kind enough to post a link to the crucial site for their memory recommendation for both Motherboards.

FWIW when I id the memory upgrade for this computer, I went straight to Crucial. That may mean I'm lazy however.

Crucial is showing $91.18 for 8Gb and $45 to $50 for a 4Gb memory versus $62.32 from Amazon for 4Gb on the DFI for example.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 28 January 2014 - 11:37 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users