Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Running 3 monitors or a combination of 2 of 3

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chucksno

chucksno

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 07:06 AM

I have an Asus desktop computer with 3 video ports on the back of my computer which I am running 2 monitors.  One is using HDMI and the other a typical VGA.  Also on the back is a DVI-D port which I have a cable to hook up a tv monitor as a 3rd monitor.  A) is it possible to run 3 monitors at a time? B) can I run a combination as I choose if I cant run all three at once?  thanks so much for any ideas...thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

Running 3 at once is going to be determined by what your video card is, can you post what card you have?

An easy way to find out is to type "dxdiag" into the run area, then click on the "display" tabs, depending on whether the motherboard has an integrated card you may see multiple tabs labelled display and they may have different information on each.

As to your question about running a combo of different ones? absolutely.

You should actually be able to set up "profiles" in either the AMD Control center, or the Nvidia control panel, that allow you to quickly switch between different setups (two on your desk, tv and one on the desk, other one on the desk and tv) regarding which monitors are on, and where they are oriented (left/right/above/below) in relation to each other.

if you dont want to go to that extreme you can easily change it in the windows screen resolution settings.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:32 PM

As GreenGiant117 said it will depend on your video card.  My experience has been if you can get an image to display on all three you should be able to use any combination you want to use.  My laptop for instance will run two displays.  I can run my laptop and a monitor or two monitors, but I cannot run all three at the same time.

#4 chucksno

chucksno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:47 PM

under name ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics comes up in the DirectX Diagnostic Tool .  It shows 2 display tabs and is that because that's how many I have running I assume?  To begin is there a way I can test if the Samsung LCD 32" can connect.  I have the DVI-D port of the computer hooked into HDMI port of the tv.  I have the source in HDMI1 on the tv and currently it says no signal.  So I guess that is first step?  How can I make sure all hardware is working and connect to the tv?    Thanks in advance

#5 GreenGiant117

GreenGiant117

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:54 PM

What version of windows are you using?

What you need to do is to open the screen that allows you to change the resolution of your screens. (For windows Vista/7/8 right click on the desktop and click screen resolution, for XP right click and select screen preferences I think)

As long as you see 3 screens detected there you can use them all, just not at the same time, all you need to do is click the drop down box at the bottom and click "Show only on screen" whichever screen you want to use, then select the second screen (other monitor or the TV) and again click the drop down box and select either "Duplicate these displays" or "Extend these displays" and you have it where you want it.

#6 chucksno

chucksno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:17 PM

Thanks I am running Windows 7 x64 and when I do as you mentioned it only shows me 2 screens to choose from.  The tv is on and the right source input is selected?  So I guess the first step is communicating.  Is there a certain driver to talk with a samsung?  or certain setup configuration for it to be seen?  thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users