Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need creative solution to weak WiFi

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hairylugs82

hairylugs82

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:02 AM

I'm posting on behalf of my S/O, who lives across the country from me, so I cannot provide the normal requested info.

She is using military WiFi on an Army-issued MacBook Pro, and due to distance and concrete walls, is getting terrible reception.  She cannot just use a better receiver, since she doesn't have access to install drivers or utilities on her laptop.

I don't have any experience with extenders or boosters, so I can't recommend anything for her myself. 

What is the best way to boost her connection?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:14 AM

Dumb question...

Has she talked to the tech support folks at her facility to see if there is anything they can do?

I ask because "getting creative" is generally frowned upon in such situations.

#3 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:29 AM

There is nothing we can do.  The person in charge of the network on the post, should have the Mesh network set up, in that it allows connectivity all over the post.  If she is in a room for top secret or better work, she really should not be using that machine in there.  Suggest she talk to her 1st Sgt. about this issue, and lets just leave it at that.

There are specific rules about these types of discussion, due to OpSec, that the OPSA has set up.  Suggest that she take a refresher course on it.

#4 hairylugs82

hairylugs82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:59 PM

It's a personal use network and laptop, but since it is issued, she doesn't have access to download drivers. She's not even accessing declassified information over this network, so there's no risk to OpSec.

Tech support won't come unless it's actually broken. Weak isn't their concern. I'm just trying to help her get a better signal.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:54 AM

smax is correct most places frown on this sort of thing. But if she can get an old router you can put dd-wrt's firmware and do a repeater http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge it's the easiest.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users