Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen but sound/video still work

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:01 PM

Well, after much fiddling and a heap of help from here I finally got Vista installed on my PC.

Unfortunately, one of the same problems persists that caused my kids to trash the original hard drives. The monitor turns black and goes to sleep but the content still runs (including audio) there is no way to wake the monitor other than pressing the button to shut it down.

I am probably missing a driver, especially now since I don't have everything updated. But I think it's odd that this is happening again. Is it Vista or could it be Vista and my video card not getting along?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:50 PM

You can disable sleep mode. Updating the video driver may help.

http://www.ehow.com/how_6330681_disable-sleep-mode-windows-vista.html

#3 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:51 PM

You have saved the day again! I'll try that. Thank you!

#4 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:52 AM

It worked like a charm! Thank you again!

UPDATE:

Today we finished the updates to SP2, it was working fine until we were watching TV and suddenly the monitor said "no signal" and the sound stopped.  I put the sound through PC speakers.  Is it something with the update that I need to roll back?  Everything is was working perfectly yesterday. 

Edited by High-Flying Bird, 29 January 2014 - 10:41 AM.

#5 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:05 PM

OK.  Looking into this more, it's got to have something to do with SP2.  I was able to watch Live TV no problem yesterday.  This morning I updated to SP2, because I thought it would be a "safer" thing to do.  Now I feel it's really messing with my life and I think it is what was wrong with the PC before the death of the old hard drives. Is there a work around that I can keep SP2's safety improvements but get rid of the the changes it it made to my audio, video, and TV tuner?  (I did go ahead and make sure all of my video drivers and the TV tuner dirvers were the latest after the the first instance of not being able to hear anything from the speakers and the monitor claiming no signal).

This made absolutely no difference.  It was able to only watch about 10 minutes of live TV before the connection loss with the monitor and the loss of sound.  I'm really frustrated because I made it so far (with all of the help from JohnC_21!) to have this poxy update screw it all up in a matter of minutes.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

I am not familiar with Tv tuners or such but are you saying the you updated the drivers and then installed SP2. If that is the case, I would try uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them.

#7 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:27 PM

I installed SP2. Then the problem arose. It happened twice. The audio (via PC speakers) and video signal ceased. The P C was still running. The P C was unresponsive to the keyboard or mouse. Prior to installing SP2 everything worked perfectly. It doesn't happen when watching Internet content or using the Internet. Thanks to your earlier help, I was able to keep anything from going to sleep.

I thought maybe with the SP2 update I should make sure all of the drivers were the latest. I did so. I tried to watch TV again. Exactly the same thing happened. Up until the point I updated to SP2 I was able to watch live TV with no problems.

Do I really need SP2 and is there anyway to get it off if I don't?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:43 PM

No, you do not want to roll back the SP2 update as Microsoft no longer provides security updates for SP1.
I would uninstall the video driver and Tvtuner driver. Then reinstall. Did the TV tuner come with the computer?

Edit: Are you using a separate video card with the HDMI output or integrated graphics?

Edited by JohnC_21, 29 January 2014 - 12:50 PM.

#9 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:49 PM

The tuner did come with the PC. How easy is it to uninstall and reinstall the drivers? I know I've done some rolling back of other kinds of drivers (like printer ones) a long time ago, but if I uninstall the video driver would my PC be useable? Is there an easy way to get to the drivers?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

It would still be usable but you would not want to keep it like that. It would be using a generic VGA driver. Is the video card separate with the HDMI output as shown on this page under Video Graphics.

#11 High-Flying Bird

High-Flying Bird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:52 PM

Thank you so much!  I was going into the PC to uninstall and reinstall the drivers.  I checked one last time to make sure there were no more updates (the last I had checked, about 2 minutes before I posted here there were none).  Lo and behold, there were 100+ updates!  So an hour later, things were running smoothly again.  I am keeping the driver option in on the plate in case I run into trouble again.  Thank you, yet again!

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2014 - 05:01 PM

Nice to hear everything has worked out! It's possible that if you checked optional updates, it included updated drivers from Microsoft.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users