Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new computor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 simolly

simolly

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

can I make a system image of win.7 pro and install on a new computor which is running wind. 8.

I would like to take an image of wind.8 install wind7 then reinstall wind.8 as dual boot. this means I can have all my

files and scrap the old machine.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Greg62702

Greg62702

• Banned
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:51 AM

Use Clonezilla to make the image to a network drive.

#3 stillgrey

stillgrey

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:06 AM

Rather than dual boot, I think you should consider putting the Win7 box in a VM (Virtual Machine) in the Win 8 box.  That way you can run both at the same time if you like.  As well you will probably have major issues moving your Win7 to different hardware.

Look at Disk2VHD to create a VHD of your Win 7 Box

Then look at Virtualbox to run the Virtual Machine(s)

All this is free and good stuff to know how to do :)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

No, almost certainly...unless the system with the Win 7 install has a retail license.

If an OEM system, the license is tied to the system, moving Windows to another system violates the EULA.  Have you read the EULA for your license re Win 7?

Louis

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

I'll also give you a no.  You might be able to make this work, but I wouldn't bet on it.  The method for making a multi-boot machine is to install the oldest operating system (OS) first, then then next oldest, and so on.  Installing Windows 7 and then pushing down a Windows 8 image would be a nightmare to try and get working properly.

Found this thread about how to install 145 OSes on a machine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users