Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop icons missing, start menu flashes, random highlighting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TRSPANN

TRSPANN

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

This morning when searching google, I started noticing that my cursor would jump around in the search bar as I was typing, then started randomly highlighting words and deleting them.  Also noticed highlighting everywhere the cursor went and windows popping up randomly. So I rebooted.

Then desktop icons would open when cursor was placed over the icon. No clicking was performed.  Start menu icon flashes on and off quickly so that I am not able click anything. Rebooted again.

This time desktop icons missing but taskbar still there.  The start menu still flashing. As a moved the cursor across screen it would drag and form boxes.....don't know if I am saying this one correctly.

Rebooted in Safe Mode....ran Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware programs.....results came back that there were no infections.

Need help please.....I have two computers so I am able to download removal tools to a CD if necessary.

Thanks

Tracy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

Sounds like a mouse issue. Try a different one, if one is available. If not, borrow a friends.

I think it's performing click commands on it's own.

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

#3 TRSPANN

TRSPANN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:00 PM

Thank you.....this seems to help a great deal.  I retrieved a wireless mouse and was able to restore desktop icons.  The flashing stopped as well as highlighting issue. Then I used just the touchpad again and everything seems fine.  Weird issue???!!! Glad it isn't some virus!

Thanks for your help!

#4 PanickyD

PanickyD

• Members
  • 343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 10:30 PM

Glad I could help.

If you were using just the touchpad alone and having these problems, it may be going bad. See if there is an updated driver for it at the laptop maker's website. If you're still having flakiness, be prepared to just always use the mouse

After the game, the King and the Pawn go into the same box...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users