Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Presario CQ60 headaches.ue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Terrien

Terrien

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:58 PM

Hi,

My significant other has been using a Presario CQ60 for a while now.  It was used frequently by her teenage boys and thus had a LOT of crap installed on it.  I have done what I could to clean up the number of applications and programs installed, but it seems to have been hopelessly infected with something.  Here is a list of the symptoms:

Long black screen during start-up

LONG start up time

heats up very quickly (even after I have removed all the dust from the fan and vents)

repeated desktop icon flashing while initializing.

LONG initializing time.

Seemingly excessive number of background processes running (from 75 -112 depending, most of them I do not recognize as system processes)

CPU usage spikes to 100% and stays at 100% while the fan is running at top speed when the only thing open is one browser streaming a netflix movie. (with 3 gigs of ram this should not peg the resources, but it does)

Streaming movies have long lag periods, and audio is commonly out of sync with video.

Wi-Fi traffic for any other device is slowed significantly when this laptop is running.

Currently using Avast anti-virus, and have done malware bytes scans.  Each has found a few minor things, but the problem seems to have gotten even worse after scanning and quarantining the infected files.

Where do I start, and what do i do.

All we really want this thing to do is check emails and play movies without sounding like it is going to explode. 

I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Edited by hamluis, 02 February 2014 - 02:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:04 PM

Personally, I would try a factory reset. This would take it back to the point of purchase. Any important files would have to backed up as these would be wiped in the reset. Any programs installed since purchase would have to be reinstalled. Was the OS updated from purchase? The original OS would be restored.

Tapping F11 at boot will take the computer to the factory restore wizard or you can do it inside of Windows if it is still there.This assumes the recovery partition is still available on the computer. Double clicking computer should show another driver called Recovery.

Even after doing the factory reset you may still have issues due to hardware problems. It seems like the computer is overheating and the only sure way to clear out the dust or find another cause is to disassemble the computer.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:40 PM

Using the System Recovery is an option that I suggest as a last resort.

Just for starters I would like to have you run two applications which will remove a lot of "junk".

Please download AdwCleaner and run it.

An image like the one below will open, click on Scan.

adwcleaner11_zps48314883.png

Once the search is complete a list of the pending items will be displayed.  If you see any which you do not want removed, remove the check mark next to it.  

Click on Clean to remove the selected items.  

You will receive a message telling you that all programs will be close so that the infections can be removed.  Click on Ok.

When cleaning process is complete a log of what was removed will be presented.  Please copy and the paste this log in your next post.

Please download Junkware Removal Tool.

Open your browser and go to Downloads, then click on the Junkware Removal Tool to install it.  

Click on Run to initiate the installation.

To avoid potential conflicts, temporarily disable your antivirus and firewall.  You will want to be offline when you do this.

Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select Run as Administrator.

The tool will open and start scanning your system.

Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.

On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.  Copy and this and then post this in your topic.

Now I would like for you to run two scans to see what malware can be found.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

1)  Double-click on mbam-setup.exe, then click on Run to install the application, follow the prompts through the installation.

2)  When the installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:

Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Then click on Finish.

3)  MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. 

4)  Click on perform Quick Scan, then click on the Scan button.

If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.

5)  The scan will now begin, this may take some time to complete so please be patient.

6)  When the scan is finished click on Show Results to display all objects found.

7)  Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.

8)  Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.

Make sure that every item shown in the results has a check mark in the box next to it, then click on Remove Selected.

9)  When removal is completed, a log will open in Notepad.

This log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.Copy and paste the contents of the log in your next post, then exit MBAM.

Important:  If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Reagardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Please copy the Malwarebytes log and paste it in your next post.

To locate this file right click on the Start orb and choose Open Windows Explorer, then click on C: drive.

When the C: drive opens click on the following:  ProgramData, Malwarebytes, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, Logs.  

If there is more than one log, choose the log with the date that you ran scan that I requested.

If there are a large number of items found you can go into Settings and click on Scanner Settings to change the setting in Action for potentially unwanted programs (PUP) to Show in results list and check for removal.

Malwarebytessettings_zpsb9b50638.png

Please scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan

• Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET Online Scan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan

• Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.

• For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)

• Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer.
      Save it to your Desktop.

• Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png to download the ESET Smart Installer. icon on your Desktop.

• Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."

• Click the Start button.

• Accept any security warnings from your browser.

• Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives"and "Remove found threats"

• Click Advanced settings and select the following:

• Scan potentially unwanted applications

• Scan for potentially unsafe applications

• Enable Anti-Stealth technology

• ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.

• When the scan completes, click List Threats

• Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.

• Click the Back button.

• Click the Finish button.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:02 PM

In addition to Dan's data request...

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users